Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

autumn

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
So I'm giving my wife's iBook G4 to my mom but we want to keep her music from iTunes and pics from iPhoto. I can locate those two folders but...

After I transfer them to my Powerbook G4, how do I make the music appears as playlists on iTunes and pics appears in my iPhoto library?

Thanks!

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Should be as simple as copying the folders over - ~/Music/iTunes and ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library should both be self-contained. Those are where iTunes and iPhoto go to look for their stuff.

~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library (file) is the library
~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music (folder) is the music (unless your wife specified somewhere else to store the music in the iTunes preferences)

Unless you mean how do you integrate them in with your existing iTunes & iPhoto libraries - that would be harder.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
You can re-import all of the music through iTunes but that probably will leave it data-less. To get the song titles and such you would need to import the Data file that sits with the music. As the previous post stated, you are going to have some issues if you are integrating it with another library.

autumn

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
You can re-import all of the music through iTunes but that probably will leave it data-less. To get the song titles and such you would need to import the Data file that sits with the music. As the previous post stated, you are going to have some issues if you are integrating it with another library.

That's what I was afraid of. Yeah, I meant to integrate it with my library.

Oh well, I'm not planning on getting a new mac til early next year.

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
That's what I was afraid of. Yeah, I meant to integrate it with my library.

Oh well, I'm not planning on getting a new mac til early next year.

You can integrate the iPhoto stuff preserving the metadata by burning the photos to a CD/DVD from the source Mac and re-importing them through iPhoto on the target Mac. There is also a program called iPhoto Library Manager that can do it, but it costs money. There is probably also a program that can merge iTunes libraries, but I'm not sure.

pelegringo

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2008
i just transferred my tunes from g4 to the new macbook without transferring the playlist. i then uninstalled itunes and ditched my tunes...and transferred the whole itunes folder....and still do not have my playlist. would itunes helper keep the initial duo playlist somehow? how can i start from scratch??

caveat idus martiae

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.