Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
I just recently re installed the OS for my ibook and i forgot the user name and password i used. What can i do? :confused:

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Boot from the OS X disk as if you were going to do a reinstall. When it gets past the language selection screen there should be a menu called Utilities or something on top (forget what its called). There you should find a bunch of nifty little thingers, Disk Utility, Terminal and the Password reset one. Use that to reset your password and there you go.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Boot from the OS X disk as if you were going to do a reinstall. When it gets past the language selection screen there should be a menu called Utilities or something on top (forget what its called). There you should find a bunch of nifty little thingers, Disk Utility, Terminal and the Password reset one. Use that to reset your password and there you go.

It wont let me do anything after i insert the install disk. It wants a user name and password do to anything. :confused:

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Restart with the disk in the drive and hold down the C key while it restarts. This will force it to start up from the CD.

I cant restart the computer. Im at the login screen, and the only option open is "sleep". When i click the user it wants a password. Even with the disk in the drive. Ahh im about to throw thing ibook out the window.:confused:

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Turn it off by holding down the power button. Then restart it, simultaneously feeding in the disc, and holding down the Alt key. This should, after a few moments, give you a choice of Startup Disks. Select the OSX DVD.

Do NOT throw it out of the window yet.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Turn it off by holding down the power button. Then restart it, simultaneously feeding in the disc, and holding down the Alt key. This should, after a few moments, give you a choice of Startup Disks. Select the OSX DVD.

Ok i think i got it. I turned it off with the disk inside, then when i turned it back on i held down c and it brought me to the install menu. Its not installing. Thanks everyone, saved my day! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.