Help! Forgot password to log into Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by smallnshort247, Jul 24, 2011.

1. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

So yesterday I upgraded my MacBook pro from snow leopard to lion. I was playing around with the settings and I do remember changing my admin password but I now forgot it and I've locked myself out of my own Mac! I've typed in every possible password I use but nothing works.

I don't know if this makes a difference but I also did link my apple Id account to my Mac. Anyway, I'm locked out and don't know how to get back in. What other options do I have? I would of done another install of lion but I don't have the disc as al you guys know. And also, I've backed up all my files already.

I dont have apple care so I doubt taking it to them will help?

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Been a couple of years since I had to do it but if I remember it correctly hold down the s key when booting then follow the instructions on checking the file system and mounting the / partition at the text screen then once you have done this use passwd username new_password to reset it in single user mode, typing in then hitting enter key the reboot command will restart the machine where you should be able to login with new password.

3. AFPoster macrumors 65816

i wonder if there is a YouTube video on this...

4. smallnshort247 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I just wasn't sure the same steps would apply since it's Lion not Snow Leopard

5. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Why would you need video? It is a simple procedure to do with on screen instructions for most of it, one thing I notice as I read it again you don't put the new password at the end of the passwd command it asks you for the new password to set after you enter that line and it should still continue to work in any of the OS X flavours unless you have disabled on purpose the single user login.