help - format HFS to NTFS?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by monkeymann, May 3, 2010.

1. monkeymann macrumors newbie

as the title suggests, i'd like to format my old osx hard drive to NTFS..

when i try it from windows it says that the drive is in use and won't allow it, even though it's a completely seperate drive..

anybody know of any method or suitable program out there to help with this sort of thing?

2. j4g3rb0mb3d macrumors newbie

I had the same problem. I ended up using Ubuntu to format the drive to FAT32, and then used my Windows 7 cd to format to NTFS. I think you can just format to NTFS directly using Ubuntu, but for whatever reason it just working for me. Your results may vary if you go this route.

It's always a nice thing to have Ubuntu on a CD just in case of things like this. The utilities that come with Ubuntu are actually really powerful.

3. monkeymann thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the response..

sounds like a decent idea though i've actually removed my dvd-drive for an SSD :eek: so i'd rather stay away from booting from cd's if i could..

i was hoping i could just download a program perhaps for either windows 7 or snow leopard to resolve it, looks like it's a little more difficult than i thought :(

4. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Format to FAT32 (it's listed as MS-DOS (FAT)) in OS X using Disk Utility, then reformat to NTFS from Windows.

No Linux required. :D

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had/have the same problem. Seems like a stupid problem, perhaps its related to the partition type of the drive

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm not clear on this, but are you trying to reformat it from Windows on your Mac? If so it is probably in use because of the read only HFS+ drivers and you need to unmount it before you reformat it.

I believe you can do this in Disk Management. Otherwise, as folks have suggested here, do so under Mac OS.

NOTE: You can also install ubuntu or gparted live on a USB flash drive instead of a CD. Very handy.

B

7. monkeymann thread starter macrumors newbie

this worked like a charm :) don't know how i didn't think of it myself!

problem solved, thanks guys