Help! Freezing iMac after RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lucasberg, Apr 2, 2011.

1. lucasberg macrumors member

Hello!
    Yesterday I put 8 more gb of RAM in my 2010 iMac 21.5, I also updated the system to the latest Lion version. Now I am having huge problem with it, the computer is completely freezing after like 20 minutes of regular usage. On top of that the computer makes a loud beep that is looping while it is freezed!

I don't know if it is the RAM or the Lion update that is the problem, but the computer worked perfectly before yesterday...

I am going to call Apple on monday if the problem continues, but I want to hear what you guys think as well.

2. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

3. lucasberg thread starter macrumors member

I reinstalled Lion and the machine seems to be working properly, at least for now. If it crashes again im going to remove the RAM to find out if that was the problem.

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Sounds like bad ram. Check it's installed securely (seated within the slot).

I'd advise running a hardware test (extended) as it really does sound like you have bad ram. While the crashes may be intermittent - it's a hard fault, and will inevitably corrupt your hard drive at some point.