Help from 2.4 -> 2.66

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TodVader, Apr 29, 2009.

1. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Hi. First, here's my record:

1)DOA
    2)Extreme light bleeding
    3)Same as above
    4)Broken hinge on arrival
    5)Dead superdrive
    6)Unknown death (Apple just changed the logic board)
    7)(actual MBP) green lines (horizontal) every 5 minutes or so

Apple said I was the most unlucky client they've ever seen. They offered, as a gift for being polite after all those problems, a brand new MBP 2.66GHz. I accepted the offer (Who wouldn't?).

Now, they also offered to get it shippied to me before I ship my computer back since I need to get work done on it.

Here's the question: I will have both MBPs at the same time. I want to know how I can just clone everything from one to the other. I also have a bootcamp partition on it.

Since one has a 250GB drive and the other a 320GB one, the CPUs are different, etc... can I still do this? I'd want the 70GB difference to be givin to the OS X partition. Will I have to start from scratch and transfer content?

btw, if it helps, I have a time machine backup on an external drive.

2. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Try using Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC). Google it.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

carbon copy works. but i would say that if you have time machine then you wont need to go thru all that just send the old one back and use disk utility to restore the new one from the time machine drive.

4. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

But does Time Machine transfer everything like CCC does? I think that Time Machine only transfers everything in your Mac except Application and Library folder. Correct me if I'm wrong.

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

it depends. when you first set up time machine you have the option telling it to do this or not.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

Time Machine will restore your Applications.

I'd just boot up the new MacBook Pro and like the Migration Assistant restore your Documents, Applications, and System Settings from your Time Machine backup of your old MBP.

Check out WinClone for moving your Boot Camp partition. I've never used it, but it's been recommended a few times on here.

7. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

OK then, use Time Machine if you have backups in your external.

8. packgrad2000 macrumors regular

I'm also curious about this. I use SuperDuper, and have booted up on other Macs with my SuperDuper Clone, and I've restored my own HD with my SuperDuper Clone. I'm probably going to get rid of my Time Bomb SR Macbook Pro (Nvidia 8600GT) for a new 24" iMac, and had planned to just simply restore the new machine from my SD clone using Disk Utility.

I thought many applications can only be installed on one machine and there were issues with running applications on more than one machine. I know I'd have to deactivate my iTunes account from my old machine, but is that pretty much the only issue of moving everything to a new machine? Is it really this simple (one thing I love about Macs, despite my frustration with the video card in my MBP)?

9. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

When setting up a new Mac, don't you have an option to copy data from an old Mac? Been a while, but I seem to remember that being an option.

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

I've not had a problem restoring apps from one machine to another. You may technically violate a license by having it installed on more than one machine, but I haven't run into any technical problems.

I would be wary of using SuperDuper to reimage a new Mac from the image of an older Mac. Apple adds new drivers to newer Macs, so although you may get a newer Mac to boot properly from a SuperDuper image from an older Mac, there's no guarantee that 100% everything will work fully.

I'd like the Migration Assistant transfer what it knows can be safely transferred from another computer vs. just cloning my backup to a new Mac.

Edit: yeah, what dsnort said. :D

11. TodVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Thanks for you help.

Noone answered if the switch from 2.4->2.66 will affect the data in any way. Is there machine specific information somewhere in the library?

Also, just curious, will I see a big difference with the 266Mhz difference? How about the double sized cache? As for RAM, I had the 2.4 upped to 4GB anyway. There's a big price difference between the two. Is is worth it for people actually paying for it?

Thanks

edit: Now that I think of it, I think I remember that "Transfer to a new Mac" option. I guess I'll wait and see but there's no stress, I'll have both machines at hand and a good backup.

12. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

processor speed wont make a difference. the cache size and VRAM will be more important of an upgrade. but you will only see a difference when doing things like rendering or gaming.

13. pnyc macrumors 6502

I've cloned my Leopard partition with SuperDuper and moved it between several different Macbook Pros( different processor, HD, RAM, Video) so you should have no problems if you go the clone route.

Also if you want to clone your Boot Camp partition and move it to the new laptop you can use WinClone : http://twocanoes.com/winclone/

14. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

it is certainly still available. totally forgot about it. but i remember seeing it now when i got my new MBP recently. i believe you just use a usb cable to connect the two to each other and your all set.

15. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

LOL. I totally forgot about it either. Yeah, you should be able to use this feature in the very first step when setting up your new Mac.