help from 4s to 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lefty224, Sep 20, 2013.

1. lefty224 macrumors member

apologize in advance if it's a newb question:

I just got the new 5S this morning. I went from a 4S to the 5S. My 4S was upgraded to the iOS7 yesterday and was backed up using iCloud.

On my 5S, after activating iCloud, all my contacts have been transferred. However, i can't see photos, old text messages, emails and apps.

Is it too late for me to bring all those back from the old phone and loaded to the 5S?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings

Then, when the setup starts, make sure to restore from iCloud backup instead of setting up as new.

3. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

What alot of people forget when they make an iCloud back up is that they don't have the right sliders on.

When your 4S went over to iOS 7 the Phone merely upgraded everything and saved the information on the device.

When you got the new iPhone 5S it didn't have all of this info on it.

Instead of what the person above me recommended. Go into Settings > iCloud on your 4S

And make sure that "Photos" and "Documents & Data" are on.

4. datapolitical macrumors member

datapolitical

Yea, this is where the iCloud 5GB limit kind of (and I apologize for this reference because South Park is a far superior show) grinds my gears. There's no way a 16 GB 4S that's being, I don't know, USED by someone to take photos is going to be able to store all their backup data in 5GB.

So you're either forced to just back up docs or pay for the extra storage. (There's an argument to be made you can do it just for the upgrade process, but it's a yearly price)

Frankly, if you want to save money, and I know this is old school...back it up to a computer. If you're a PC-less iPhone user, huzzah to you! Time to shell out for iCloud.

5. lefty224 thread starter macrumors member

so i can still back up the 4S to itunes and then load up that backup into the 5S using itunes again?

6. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

You know what's scary? I was watching the humancentiPad episode of southpark when I read your post lol.

Anyway what you're saying is assuming the user has that amount of Photo's and Documents. OP hasn't stated anything that indicates he has a huge amount of Photos.

If you go into the iPhone 4S and make a back up, using my aformationed instructions with all the right sliders on, it should back up everything perfectly, otherwise I recommend going to an applestore. The 5GB limit might be a problem, if so, you'll need to find another way to tranfer the Photos from one device to the other. Although Photo stream works very nifty when it comes to this.

7. datapolitical macrumors member

datapolitical

I was considering Photo Stream when you said that, but didn't mention it because if she had more than 1000 photos on the device it wouldn't get them all.

You're right, first step is turning on all the toggles and doing a backup.

----------

Yup! you don't even have to "sync" it with iTunes.

1st, disable auto syncing:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH1764 (it's under preferences).

2nd: plug in iPhone 4S, hit backup (not sync).
    3rd: Relax, have a beer, this may take a moment.
    4th: disconnect 4S
    5th: connect 5s
    6th: restore the phone to factory settings.
    7th: finish off beer, it'll take two or three minutes.
    8th: pick the backup you just made of your 4S from the dropdown and press okay.
    9th: Profit! (or have another beer).

If you need any help, post here, or if I don't reply and the other commenters don't make sense, hit me up on the twitter :) @chrisfnicholson.

8. lefty224 thread starter macrumors member

Will it matter what what version of itunes i have? As of last night, i haven't updated to the latest version of itunes (11.1 something).

Do i update itunes first and then go to step 1?

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Assuming your 4S is still on iOS 6, you *could* do steps 1-4 on an older iTunes, but from step 5 on, you'll need the latest version, so might as well get that first. If your 4S has been updated to iOS 7, then you'd need the latest iTunes from step 1.

10. dotme macrumors 6502a

I know I'm late to the conversation but I upgraded multiple devices today without any issues. Here were my steps...

1. Upgrade iTunes to 11.1 (20 mins)
    2. Connect 4S (iOS 6) and check for updates
    3. "Download Only" iOS 7. When done, upgrade 4S
    4. Check 4S to make sure upgrade went well and also complete initial setup on 4S (the post upgrade questions on startup)
    5. Connect 4S, perform manual backup
    6. Connect 5S, restore from that backup

All upgrades preserved apps, layout, messages, photos, etc. it took time, but went well. Hope this helps.

11. lefty224 thread starter macrumors member

i did this last night and it worked. i did an iCloud back up again on my 4S when i got home, reset and erased the 5S and restored it using icloud backup.

my question is this...

when i go to the 5S iCloud settings, it still says that phone is currently being restored. so i let it go overnight. this morning i had to leave home to go to work and no more wifi. it now says the restore has been paused because i'm not on wifi.

how long does the restore take? the total iCloud storage i backed up was just 2.5GB

Seems like all the pics, contacts, messages, call logs, emails, apps have been transferred but it's just not done restoring. is this normal? anything i should do differently?

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Hmmm. How long it takes depends on the speed of your wifi connection. And the download size is probably actually more than 2.5 GB, because any apps you had are not included in that number. From what you describe, my guess is it's still downloading apps -- you didn't mention whether you checked to see if all your apps have been restored. Leaving it overnight usually works for me, but I'm not that surprised if it didn't finish completely. If you have wifi at work, it should resume when you get connected there.

13. lefty224 thread starter macrumors member

All apps have been restored. I'm going into 3 days now of wifi connection and it's still stuck on icloud restore backup. Anything else i can do?

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Have absolutely no idea, such a thing has never happend to me. My instinct when anything goes that wrong is to try turning it off then back on. No idea if it will actually help, though.

15. Chelskiee10 macrumors newbie

Am currently changing from 4s to 5s and trying to restore from iCloud.. The phone has switched it self off and came back on with the restarting bar but hasn't moved :/ can someone help me :(

Attached Files: