Help! FV2 and SSD.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Traverse, May 28, 2014.

1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I need FV active.

I just replaced my 2011 MacBook Pro's HDD with a Samsung EVO SSD. I had a Mavericks boot drive and formatted the drive after installation. Everything is fine, but when I got to enable FV I get this:

FileVault Failed: Unable to create a new Core Storage logical volume group.

Any ideas.

2. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

The SSD is formatted as regular Mac OSX Extended Journaled

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When you installed the SSD, how did you install Mavs? I wonder if you installed Mavs in such a way that you did not get a recovery partition, and that is required for Filevault.

Run the command below in Terminal and post up the output. That will show us if you have a recovery partition.

Code:
    diskutil list

4. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Yes, I made a boot drive that creates a recovery partition. I just used that recovery to reinstall Mavericks again and now it is working. Now I have to transfer all my data.. Again. -_-

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Glad you got it sorted out. :)

6. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Spoke too soon. I restored everything and created a new user. I turned on FV and encrypted everything. Then I used Migration Assistant and imported my old users and data. Then FV required two logins (previous temporary user, and my main user). I couldn't add my main user, I just got an Error. Now I am turning off FV and will then enable it again and hope it works. If not...ugh. Third restore, thats good for my SSD.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you may have gotten crossed up there when you imported that user account with FV already on. I bet it did not add that user to the allowed users able to open FV.

8. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

You are exactly right. Now I know to disable FV and do a full backup of my system if I want to use the MUCH easier Migration Assistant in the future.

For now I had to restore OS X (third time), I made a new user, and just used the "enter time machine" menu option to copy over the contents of the old user folder. FV works fine now, but I had to spend hours resetting my preferences, shortcuts, workflows, settings, etc....

Seems like an oversight of Apple not to let current FV users import their old account and continue to use FV.