Help! G4 800mhz ibook v. 1.2ghz ibook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by TinyLawDiva, Jan 16, 2005.

  1. TinyLawDiva macrumors newbie

    Jan 16, 2005
    :confused: Hi!! I'm going nuts, I am a brand new Mac person who just purchased an 12 inch 800mhz ibook that hasnt even arrived yet ( I thought that was the highest processor!) But I found out today that there are 1.2 ghz ibooks. Are there any obvious and crippling differences between the two besides speed? Would i be better to resell the 800 and purchase a 1.2 ghz? Please Help!!!!Is it worth it to keep this one?
  2. jadam macrumors 6502a


    Jan 23, 2002
    If you can I would say resell the 800 mhz one and get the 1.2ghz one, its almost a 50% difference in speed. Plus the 1.2ghz one has a better video card, and built in air port extreme.
  3. Solafaa macrumors 6502a


    Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    It all depends on what you would be doing with your laptop, email, work, smurfing and a bit of power intensive things then stick with the 800. If your looking to do more CPU intensive stuff (photoshop and games) then your better off with a PowerBook, i just done see how the 1.2 would be better for you if you want to do light things.
  4. tdhurst macrumors 601


    Dec 27, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ

    Where did you buy this iBook with the "fastest" processor speed?
  5. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

    Nov 26, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    i'd say either ebay ..
  6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus


    Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    5 seconds researching your purchase at would have saved you this problem :rolleyes:
  7. TinyLawDiva thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 16, 2005
    I purchsed it from ebay, I'm a new Mac user and likewise I have never purchased a laptop so the only thing I had even looked at was that it was a G4 with significant HD space and brand new. Thanks to everyone who provided meaningful input! So since I'm only going to be using it for college should I keep the 800? Thanks again in advance for your help!
  8. maya macrumors 68040


    Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    Is it me or do you have 2 threads opened on the SAME ISSUE:
  9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603


    Jul 17, 2004
    Try and return it. The newer, faster iBooks will be a huge help. 800 MHz is fine and all, but if you can get a 1.2 GHz machine, it is a much bigger difference.
  10. deeridiot macrumors newbie

    Jan 7, 2004
    I say keep the 800MHz G4

    I'm also using an iBook in college, but it's the model they had out when I started in 2002, the 800MHz G3. It still provides everything I need to do.

    So, I say that you should definitely keep your new iBook. I don't think the money you'd lose reselling and repurchasing the 1.2GHz version would be worth the improved performance.

    However, I do recommend that you upgrade the RAM. You'll hear everywhere how OS X loves all the RAM it can get. This is true, that will make a huge difference in the performance of your machine. You can get extra RAM from 3rd party vendors and save a lot of money from what apple charges. I got my extra RAM (512MB, which is what I'd recommend for you, too) from and had no problems. A site where you can compare prices is

    Additionally, I would also invest in an Airport Extreme card for your iBook. My campus has wireless internet available in the library and other places on campus, and it really comes in handy. If you go to and then click on the "Education" link along the right side of the page, you can find the Apple Store for you're school where you can get the airport card with an educational discount ($69).

    Basically, I think the 800MHz G4 iBook with 512MB of extra RAM installed would be faster than the 1.2GHz version with default RAM.

    Enjoy your computer,

  11. Toreador93 macrumors regular

    Sep 14, 2003
    If you sell it on eBay, you shouldn't lose much money at all. In fact, you may gain. Those things still go for $7-800.

    Of course, I'd be waiting for G5 ibooks later this year...which may cause you to delay the selling of your ibook.

    So my suggestion is to keep your iBook for the time being. Play around with it. It's not going to depreciate much at all in the next few months. Then, keep an eye on this site (like a few times a day), and when there are more G5 iBook rumors, sell your iBook.
  12. TinyLawDiva thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 16, 2005
    HMMMM....thats an excellent suggestion, I didn't know they would be coming out with another so soon, its quite a rush to keep up with the newest thing :) Maybe I'll do that instead!

Share This Page