HELP get stolen iPod back!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fuzion11, Sep 16, 2011.

1. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I have a friend who had his iPod stolen at school. The guy who stole it answered a facetime call yesterday when one of the victims friends called him. I am attempting to call him myself too, if and when he does answer my facetime call I will proceed to capture a Screen Shot of him and take it to the school's principle and with any luck he will recognize him.

I've tried locating the unit via Mobile Me - Find your iPhone but it doesn't appear to be active on his iPod. So am I out of luck if it isn't already installed on his iPod or does it come pre-installed when unboxing the iPod and setting it up with iTunes initially??

Is it possible to call Apple and have them help track the unit?

Please any suggestions or tips would be appreciated...thanks in advance.

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

The Screenshot would likely be your best bet. Other than WiFi tracking it's very hard to track an iPod.

3. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

Make sure you know how to make screenshots before making the call. Test drive with another iPod first. The thief will probably be alarmed more and more with every call he gets. Let's hope he hasn't already wiped the iPod.

4. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

so there's not much I can do besides hoping to get a screen shot of him to show the principle?

I've tried calling 25 times already and he's not picking up...seems the little moronic thief wised up after the first time he answered.

My iPhone says it's ringing...I'm not sure if that translates into knowing if he's near a wifi connection or not or if it would ring if he already wiped the info from it???

Please advise....

Also is it wise to report the Serial# to Apple incase of service?? Would Apple be willing to put a trace on the iPod? If that's even possible?

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Apple will not put a trace on it, but do report it stolen both to Apple and to the local police. Find my phone would have had to be activated to be available...

t

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Apple is not going to do anything, that iPod has a new owner now.