Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xgame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
I am currently eligible for a phone upgrade and my goal is to get an iPhone 4 from AT&T for $99.99. Can I get that to use without service and continue using my old phone? I'm trying to avoid the data plan, but does at&t do something to prevent this?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
If you get the iPhone 4 for $99, then you need to sign a new 2-year contract - with a data plan. It is unavoidable.

xgame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
If you get the iPhone 4 for $99, then you need to sign a new 2-year contract - with a data plan. It is unavoidable.

I can't have them take that off after they see that I'm not using a phone that doesn't require a data? Or do they know I got an iPhone and won't let me back out?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I can't have them take that off after they see that I'm not using a phone that doesn't require a data? Or do they know I got an iPhone and won't let me back out?

Let me get this straight ...

You want to open a new line with the iPhone 4, cancel the data plan and stick that SIM card in a different phone.

Then why even get the iPhone? You cannot use it without the data plan.

xgame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Let me get this straight ...

You want to open a new line with the iPhone 4, cancel the data plan and stick that SIM card in a different phone.

Then why even get the iPhone? You cannot use it without the data plan.

No, i am eligible to upgrade my current phone with of coarse renewing my 2-year contract. I want to use it to get the iPhone for the contract price but continue to use my current phone for the service.

I just thought it would be nice to have an iPhone even though it wouldnt be using it with a service.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
No, i am eligible to upgrade my current phone with of coarse renewing my 2-year contract. I want to use it to get the iPhone for the contract price but continue to use my current phone for the service.

I just thought it would be nice to have an iPhone even though it wouldnt be using it with a service.

Yes, you can do that.
Many people do the same to either sell the new subsidized phone or give to a family member etc...
All you gotta do it put your sim back inside the old phone and call them to cancell the iphone data since you're not using an iphone any more.
They will ask you for the current phones imei and that's it.

xgame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Yes, you can do that.
Many people do the same to either sell the new subsidized phone or give to a family member etc...
All you gotta do it put your sim back inside the old phone and call them to cancell the iphone data since you're not using an iphone any more.
They will ask you for the current phones imei and that's it.

Ok thanks, sorry if there was any confusion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.