Help getting/converting .mts files into Final Cut Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sambrill, Oct 6, 2010.

1. sambrill macrumors newbie

A friend of mine is having trouble with files and asked me to ask for advice on here...

this is the problem

"k... so I was shooting on a Panasonic HVCCAM and as I was shooting continuously all day, when ever I had the time I'd transfer the files onto my mac book pro. This is the first time I've used this camera properly and I think I've done something terribly wrong.

I went like this....

Untitled(SD card reader) > PRIVATE folder > AVCHD folder > BDMV folder > Stream folder... and then copied the clips ONLY from this folder onto one on my desktop.

There are two other folders within the "BDMV folder" - CLIPINF and PLAYLIST. Although I deleted the contents of the Stream folder after copying, there still remains files (around 33kb) in these other two...

I now understand that I must log and transfer directly from the SD card to take the files in there entirety, I fear I have damaged the source data beyond repair of any legible quality...

This is such a horrible thing to have happened!!.. and its all down to my lack of experience. I am honestly at my wits end as this is my first big job and the files at hand are the ENTIRE footage of a documentary/ short film

Really, any help would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot, Ricky."

He needs to basically convert the files from .mts to something Final Cut Pro will recognise such as .avi Does anyone know how to do this without effecting quality.

Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Take a look at ClipWrapper and Voltaic.

Btw, even though FCP might recognize the .avi container, it will not be the best container (format) to be used with FCP.

Use the .mov (QuickTime) container in combination with the ProRes codec for video and Uncompressed for audio.

Take a look at the FCP manual to learn more about FCP.