help getting into the recovery console

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ghrui, Sep 25, 2011.

1. ghrui macrumors newbie

hey

i just installed a second hard drive to my mac mini (799$ version)
    i want to get into the recovery console to install lion on the SSD drive i installed instead of the regular hard drive the mac mini boots from now but i can't.

trying cmd+r when i restart or just turn on the mini but it always just boot to lion and not going into the recovery console.

any ideas why? what am i doing wrong ?

thanks in advance for the help

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

It's not a recovery console. That's a Windows term, and on Windows, it really is a console.

Hold down the option key when you boot. It'll show you the bootable volumes that it sees, and "Recovery" should be one of them.

3. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I've had issues with BT Keyboards not coming on line fast enough. However, adding a USB Lion Recovery drive would allow me to hold option to see bootable devices. It seems that searching the external device for a boot option slowed thing down enough for the BT Keyboard to send the "Option" key press. FWIW, A fast external SSD on FW800 did not help. In my case, I replaced both drives with new drives that were apparently formatted with NTFS from the factory. Therefore, the error I was receiving was "No bootable devices found".