Help getting Lexmark x2580 printer working

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by capitanbuzo, Jan 16, 2008.

1. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

I cannot seem to get my printer (Lexmark x2500) working with my sisters 2.16 MB running 10.5.1. I could not get it to print also in 10.4.10. The printer is connected to a Windows computer and I am trying to add it over the network. I have installed the driver from Lexmark but no luck. When I was in Tiger, I was able to get the printer feed a paper through, though, not printing any text. It also brought up a screen on the Windows computer saying it was printing and the percent that has gone through even though nothing happened. Every time I try to print in Leopard, it says there is some sort of error on the Mac end. The print screen does not go on. I really need to get this working because I am going to be ordering a MBP within the next couple of days and really need to use the printer. All suggestions are appreciated.

2. techie4life macrumors 6502

So the printer is usable on the PC, correct? Make sure that the printer is "shared" through the PC. You should find this option in "Control Panel" under Printers. Once you have sharing enabled for the printer (or if this has already been done) Go to the Mac that you want to be able to print from. Under System Preferences, go to "Print & Fax". If you do not see your printer under the "Printing" tab, let me know.

3. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

The printer is shared. I have printed from one of the many other Windows computers I have. I have gone there and it says I am connected to the Printer. When I tried to print just a second ago, it said on the Mac that it could not connect to the printer. When I open up the printer to see whats printing on the Windows it says "Document Name: Remote Downlevel Document. Status: Spooling. Owner: Geust. Pages: N/A. Size: blank. Submitted: The current time. Port: blank". I do not know if this helps. Before when I in Tiger, I was at least getting a print screen to come up and was able to get paper to feed but nothing to print.

4. techie4life macrumors 6502

What is the power state of the PC it is being shared off of? The PC cannot be off, in hibernate, or standby. It has to be fully ON.

5. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

Of course the shared computer is on. I really have no clue whats going on at the moment. Usually setting up a shared printer over the network is easy but I can't seem to get the drivers working for the Mac.

6. techie4life macrumors 6502

Have you tried installing Bonjour on the Windows computer?

7. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

8. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, so I downloaded Bonjour and Bonjour Printer Wizard says, "No Bonjour Printers are availible." When I go to control panel->printers and faxes->share lexmark printer, it says it is shared. What now?

9. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

If this helps any, all of the Windows computers on my network run XP.

10. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

There are two kinds of print drivers on OS X, Carbon and CUPS. Manufacturers like to use the old Carbon type, because they get to limit what comm protocol the driver works with. Your lexmark driver is limited to direct USB connection*.

You need a CUPS driver to use the built-in network print protocols, like Windows Printing, which are part of the CUPS architecture. There is no CUPS driver for that printer model, but online it says it works with the Z25-Z35 Gimp-Print/Gutenprint CUPS driver included in OS X.

*Mac-to-Mac and Mac Airport Express printer sharing don't work the same - Apple software redirects USB driver output via network.

11. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, Gimp-Print/Gutenprint seems to be the solution. The new problem is when I searched for Z25-Z35 drivers on Lexmark's website, it says that the drivers are for Mac OSX 10.2.X and I believe it said it supported 10.3. I could not find the Z25-Z35 drivers in Leopard. I tried some Z40+ drivers and the computer the Printer is connected to says it is printing and the printer will feed down a piece of paper. The Windows computer will stay at 99% printed and the printer will remain stalled until it feeds the paper through all the way without printing anything. The Windows computer then says that the print job is done.

Can you please guide me to the right drivers? And thanks for the help.

12. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

I guess I didn't emphasize this - Gimp-Print or Gutenprint drivers are included by Apple in OS X because they know about this problem. Since Lexmark only makes Carbon drivers, downloading anything from them will be a waste of time.

The latest Gutenprint drivers can be downloaded here:
    http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

Unfortunately, I installed the latest Gutenprint, 5.1.6, and I still don't see Z25-Z35 in there. The closest is Z42. I'd be trying that one.

There is another workaround if that doesn't work. Let me know.

13. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

I have tried all the included Z drivers when I was in Tiger and Leopard with no luck. It will feed a paper through but not print. I think it is time for the work around. Thanks for all the help.

14. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

Also, I could not find the drivers for the Samsung ML-1630 in Leopard and will be purchasing that printer with the Macbook Pro to use along side of the Lexmark. Can you state a work around for that too?

15. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli