Help getting music into my Touch!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Brewerpaul, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

OK--- I have some albums ripped from CDs in a file on my PC desktop. I even managed to get some of them onto the iTunes program, but now I can't find out how to get them into the Touch.
    The online manual says to drag them from the playlist into the Touch icon on the sidebar. Trouble is, that icon isn't always there. It shows up right away when I plug the Touch in and it's in the process of a synch, but then it goes away and I don't know how to get it back. Help please...

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

This "online manual" is lying. You have to sync to the iPod touch from the bottom right of the window after clicking on the iPod touch icon.

3. Brewerpaul thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but I'm not even seeing the icon. Like I said, it was there briefly after I plugged in my Touch and it went through the synch/backup, but then it disappeared. All that's on the sidebar is Library, store, and playlists (and their subcategories)

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Weird. Does the iPod touch itself work on its own?

5. Brewerpaul thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, I've had it only a week and it works just fine.

6. Brewerpaul thread starter macrumors regular

OK, I unplugged the Touch, plugged it back in and sure enough there is now a
    "devices" listing underneath the "store". My Touch is shown, so I was able to drag some tunes into it. They're not arranged in any particular order, but at least they're there. It's a start...:cool:

At the end of the "devices" line there was a little icon which looked like an up arrow (upward point triangle with a horizontal line below it). I clicked on that, and the "devices" line, including my Touch went away, and I don't see any way to bring it back. Except to unplug and plug back in. Gotta be an easier way...

7. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

The up-arrow looking icon on the right is the eject button -- which is why it disappears when you click it. The only way to get it to reappear is to unplug it and plug it back in.

If you want to see what's "under" the iPod, click the flippy triangle to the left of the iPod icon.

8. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

That was the 'eject' button, which is why it disappeared. Anytime you plug in your touch, it should appear in the sidebar there under devices, at which point you can drag whatever music/movies you have in your iTunes library to the touch icon, which will copy them over. You may have to make sure the 'Manually manage music and videos' checkbox is checked to be able to drag stuff over, otherwise your only other option is just to sync your entire library.

9. mpshay macrumors 6502

Or you could build playlists and choose to sync specific playlists. Works great when you library is larger than your ipod capacity. Get different music without the pain of manually managing it.