Help getting parallels running

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 69x11, Sep 30, 2009.

1. 69x11 macrumors newbie

Sep 30, 2009
    I just bought a new iMac last night, I am finally leaving the PC world. I need to install a OS for parallels since i have alot of PC programs i need to run.

I have ran thru the paralells set up and installed a windows xp sp1 home edition cd when prompted but it will not load properly. The XP install disc is a disk i got with an older Dell laptop. And it says for distribution with Dell computers only. I starts to load, i input my activation code and it starts to install. The first few times it got hung up saying that it is installing and will take 39 minutes to complete but just sat there for hours.

Now its missing some line of code. O well i have to get a new copy of XP i guess.

Here is the issue, I must have XP with nothing new then SP2. When i run sp3 my CAD program (softplan) can not print to scale. They said its a problem with sp3 and i would have to upgrade V14 to fix this issue.

Ca anyone tell me if it is possible to get this current XP sp1 to load, or can i get an XP sp2. Everything i find is preloaded sp3.
  2. 69x11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 30, 2009
    Alternately, what about running a different OS on my Parallel side of the mac. Something like a linux? i wonder if that would be a better solution.

Im open to ideas