Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
NY
I am studying abroad this coming semester in Wales and I just wanted to ask people who are in the UK (or have been there) how to best get my electronics up and running over there.

Should I get the world travel set from Apple, which would leave me with a bunch of other appliances that I wanna run unconnected. Or can I take my US power surge protector and buy just 1 adaptor for it over there (that way connect all my stuff to it)?

Do I have any other options? Thanks for any advice

bgd

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
SG
We have 230v compared to your 110 (?). I would think you would need to get a surge protector over here. You would also have to check that any appliance you bring over will run with the increased voltage.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
The vast majority of power supplies these days are auto sensing so it's a matter of just having the right adapter. The Apple travel kit looks expensive for what it is.

You can use any radio cable into the apple power supply, this is what I do when I go to the US.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Your PB will work fine here with just a power outlet adaptor or standard power cable neither of which should cost more than $5 and are available at the airport.

As for your other stuff it would depend on what it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.