Help getting proper restore after 1015 error

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tinytanks, May 15, 2011.

1. tinytanks macrumors newbie

Hi,

I did a search of other threads but couldn't find an answer.

I was given a 16gig iphone 3g with a broken digitizer. I had it fixed but the phone had been jailbroken and unlocked using redsnow. It was on a 4.2.1 firmware. I wanted to restore it so that it was locked to original settings and I could use it to replace my 8g model. I connected it to my itunes and hit restore. I got stuck in the loop and was told there was a 1015 error.

I followed this tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVhx8XjXqz0&feature=BFa&list=FL__6HUYbpYWI&index=6) using Tiny Umbrella and installing a 4.1 (8B117) firmware. It worked, although there still seemed to be some traces from the jailbreak. When I tried to use the update in itunes the next time I plugged in, it got stuck in that 1015 error loop again.

So, I'd like to be able to restore it cleanly so that the phone can be regularly updated ensuring apps continue to work. Does anyone know if I can do this or is this phone destined to only be good if I never update it in itunes?

Thanks!

2. enferrari macrumors newbie

Hi,
    You can restore the iPhone to 4.2.1 but you have to use a custom firmware and the jailbreak/unlock trace will still be there. The iPhone had the 6.15.00 baseband installed thats why you get error 1015.
    here's a link on how to do a restore to 3.1.3 with no jailbreak:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y39hPYLPAN4&annotation_id=annotation_777476&feature=iv

and here's a link on how to do a custom restore to 4.2.1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKkront2s_0&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_854138

3. tinytanks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I'll give those a look when I get home. I appreciate your help.

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You can also use iReb to kick the phone out of a recovery loop/1015 error most of the time. I believe TinyUmbrella will do the same.

5. enferrari macrumors newbie

I know for a fact that tinyumbrella is for ios4.1 and below only..i think ireb is the same. thats why the author of tinyumbrella make "fixrecovery"

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Well there we go. Knew there was something!

7. tinytanks thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm still not able to get a proper restore. I can get it out of recovery mode using the mentioned methods. I just tried a 4.2.1 firmware and the phone was functional again, but when I use itunes to do a restore, it goes into the loop again. It seems the trace of the original jailbreak and/or unlock is still there prevented a normal restore.

Any other ideas of how I can get this phone out of the recovery loop and then restore it through itunes to factory settings?

Thanks!

8. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

As you have the ipad baseband on your phone you need to make a custom firmware which includes the ipad baseband then load that onto the phone using itunes and you should be good to go

9. xidp macrumors newbie

xidp

First, I think if you want to restore on fw 4.2.1 you have to have saved SHSH on Cydia, because now fw 4.3.5 is active on iTunes.

If you have saved SHSH file on Cydia (when you launch Cydia app you can see for what firmwares you have SHSH on the top of window)
    then you should change hosts file on your computer and then try Shift/Alt + Restore form Firmware in iTunes and select your custom firmware.
    You can make custom firmware in Pwnagetool(Mac) and Sn0wbreeze (PC),
    there you can make your phone activated after restoring and make baseband unchanged.

I hope this will help you, if you have any question ask. :)

10. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Your post is not correct. The op has a 3G and 4.2.1 is the latest iOS version for 3G and therefore SHSH are not relevant.

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

12. tinytanks thread starter macrumors newbie

So, if I download and install 3.1.3, I should then be able plug in to itunes, hit Restore and return it to factory settings? Or do I need to do anything else?

Thanks!

13. Tech Elementz, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

The restore should be succesful, but you have to run a program such as Recboot at the end, because you will recieve a 1015 error.

Here is the downlaod for Windows & Mac

14. tinytanks thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed a 3.1.3 (7E18) firmware. When I look at the phone's settings, the Modem Firmware is 06.15.00. Does that mean it still has an iPad baseband?

I'd like to plug it in to iTunes now and do a regular restore to factory settings with the hope that it will no longer give me the Error 1015. However, I wanted to have RecBoot as you suggested. I downloaded itfrom two different places but am having trouble installing it. The first one I used wouldn't run until I installed a different version of the .NET.Framework.

I tried another and it said I had to download LibUSB first.

I don't know what these mean and am hesitant to find and download them.

If I try a regular restore in iTunes and get the 1015 message, can I just use Tinyumbrella instead of RecBoot?

Thanks again!

15. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Once you put the IPAD baseband on your phone your will also get the error with an apple restore. You should use pwnage tool and custom firmware.

When you restore your phone to any version of IOS it always include the appropriate baseband that goes with the version. Since your are trying to install a baseband that is lower than the one already on the phone it create the failure and the error you are seeing.

Custom firmware does not attempt to install a baseband only the IOS.

16. tinytanks thread starter macrumors newbie

So using a pwnage tool will allow me to remove the iPad baseband and install a regular one? Is there a pwnage tool/tutorial that you can recommend so that I know how to do it and which baseband I'll want to use?

Thanks for your help!