Help getting sound from mac to tv

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kfee14, Sep 4, 2012.

1. kfee14 macrumors newbie

Sep 4, 2012
    Okay I feel like I should already have this figured out since I think im pretty handy with mac but I am trying to get my mac hooked up to my samsung hdtv.

I have got a minidisplay to hdmi adapter to plug into my macbook and then an hdmi to hdmi cable to go to the back of the tv which I then mirrored to give me an image on my television after switching to the hdmi/dvi 2 input.

The problem is when I plug in the headphone jack and then put in the audio cables to the tv I still only get sound coming from the computer and nothing from the tv?!? Is there a setting that I have forgotten to change on my mac or am I hooking this up wrong? I have tried putting it through both component and audio out as well and still get nothing?
  2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    What exact MacBook do you have?
    To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:

And have you made sure, you used the Audio Out port, since I have never experienced sound coming out from the built in speakers on any of my current or past Macs once a 3.5 mm audio cable was plugged into the Audio Out port.

Check System Preferences > Sound > Output or OPTION/Alt click the sound/volume icon in the Menu Bar and tell us, what is listed and checked as Output Device.

3. kfee14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 4, 2012
    mode is macbook pro 7,1. I will look at the output as soon as i get back to my apt