Help getting started

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Redb3ard, May 24, 2013.

1. Redb3ard, May 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2013

Redb3ard macrumors newbie

Hello, I was looking to get some helping leaning to design games for the app store. I am starting from the very beginning with no experience. I'm sure it is difficult, but I don't have a lot to do this summer other thn working some so I might as well start to learn something useful.

Taking a class would be ideal of course, but there isn't anything like that available to me. I have a few ideas for a racing game and a kind of side scroller shooter game. I downloaded the unity engine and have been playing around that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated I really want to start the learning process.

2. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

So you don't have any programming experience at all? You don't know the first thing about it?

You should plan on learning the fundamentals before you try to write a game. Think in terms of picking small tasks that teach you different skills, until you get far enough along to be able to integrate those skills and be able to tackle all the things you need in order create a full game app.

Otherwise you're just going to get frustrated.

I suggest getting the "Objective C Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch guide" written by Aaron Hillegass and reading that cover to cover, and doing the exercise. Then look for a book that teaches you iOS. The Lamarche Beginning and More iOS 6 books seem pretty good.

After reading those 3 books, you might want to buy a book on Unity or Cocos2d, or find an online tutorial on those subjects.

After a full summer of study (full time) you might be ready to start working on some simple 2D games.