Help! Girlfriend deleted "private" file, computer won't boot

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FuNGi, Jan 28, 2011.

1. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Does anyone know if she can:
    1) boot from OSX install disk to repair disk?
    or
    2) boot from OSX install disk and migrate ONLY the "private" file she deleted from her Macintosh HD?

Help appreciated. I'm running IT support for her from another country :eek:.

I know, I know. I tell her all the time not to delete files she that she doesn't know she created. P.S. her time machine back up is a week old so she obviously doesn't want to restore everything, just the file she knows she deleted.

Thanks in advance.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Can't she restore that one file from the time machine backup?

3. simsaladimbamba

Has she tried any of these steps?

And yes, you can do 1.).

I don't think you can do 2.), but if she has Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, a normal reinstallation will just do fine and the "private" FOLDER (not file, or do you/she mean/s something else?) will be re-created and NO user data or APPLICATIONS will be deleted.

Also send her a link to this: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

4. FuNGi thread starter macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Thanks for the links simsaladimdabababada. I will forward on the info to her. I told her to try the Disk Utility to repair for now.

But if that doesn't work I was hoping she could use Migration Assistant to move over only the "private" FOLDER (containing many, many files) and restore her system to bootable order.

Has anyone moved just certain folders from Migration Assistant? NOT the entire disk image.

Thanks

5. simsaladimbamba

What Mac OS X version does she use?
    And with "private" file/folder, you mean a folder she or you created in the Home Directory or the hidden "private" folder in the root directory? Because if it is the first, the Mac should still be able to boot.
    If it is the second, then either she can do an Archive and Install (Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and 10.5 Leopard) or a normal installation of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, where her data will NOT be deleted and be accessible after the installation finished.

I don't know about MA though, as I never use it.

Some more links:

MacOS X 10.5, 10.6: How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac

Time Machine FAQ - 14. How do I restore my entire system?

6. FuNGi, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

FuNGi thread starter macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Thanks. She Archived and Installed Snow Leopard and it preserved all her personal files seamlessly. Awesome.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

...and now it's time to upgrade to Girlfriend 10.4/Tiger. rrrrraough!

8. g4 powerbookboy macrumors regular

i think its time to take the mac away from her and get a windows netbook for her..... obviously the mac is too smart for her!