Help girls without Tiger

Discussion in 'iPod' started by majapapaya, Jun 27, 2007.

1. majapapaya macrumors member

majapapaya

I'm asking for help for my Cuz. She is an iPod Girl, where I still use my transistor radio to go to the beach. She is still running on her blue body Mac, 10.28. I dont know the memory or speed off hand.
    She went to Apple to buy more memory because she was having problems with iTunes and her Nano. They sold her a new Nano and Tiger. She does not have a DVD drive and might not even have the space for Tiger.
    I told her not to open the Tiger because I dont think she will be able to install it.
    I have Panther for her.
    Should we just install 10.3 and will her old Nano work? Lot's of questions before any installations involved.
    Thanks

2. gikku macrumors regular

gikku

did she get the RAM?
    Panther is good, Tiger better.
    Tiger likes 512MB, though it will run kinda slowly with 256MB.

Could install Tiger via firewire.

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If you want Tiger on there, but don't have a DVD-capable machine nearby to help with the job, Apple will send you a set of CDs in exchange for $10 (look for the "media exchange program" box on that page).

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You could also use another Mac in conjunction with Target Disk Mode to install Tiger, assuming the other Mac has an optical drive capable of reading DVDs. Having said that, Panther will work fine with the nano and it'll probably be faster and less resource hungry on her machine. Unless she really needs Tiger (and I don't think she does), I'd stick with Panther. :)

5. mkaake macrumors 65816

Put on 10.3 for sure. 10.5 is just around the corner, which means if you really want 10.4, you'll be able to pick it up on eBay in a few months for a lot less cash than what you paid for it in the store. Also, do you mean an iMac, or a Powermac? If it's an iMac, I wouldn't bother past 10.3, but the Powermac has a bit more potential (as the graphics card is upgradeable).

Just my opinion, but I sure wouldn't be spending retail prices on Tiger, especially right now...

6. majapapaya thread starter macrumors member

majapapaya

She went FOR RAM and a new Nano . I'm kinda pissed at Apple Store Soho, that they just sold her Tiger and a New Nano. No RAM, what she really needed.

It's Power Mac G3, from 2002?

The biggest issue was she had no more space on her iTunes. When we install Panther should be enough and do we really have to back everything up.

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Do you mean that her hard drive is full? If so, then RAM won't help.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Take Tiger back and get some more hard drive space (internal or external, it doesn't matter). If there's space left over, then get more RAM. You can upgrade to Panther from Jaguar without 'needing' to backup, but do it all the same. You never know what will happen, plus you should have everything backed up all the time anyway. :)