help going from Leopard 10.5 to Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tamie, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Tamie macrumors newbie

I got Snow Leopard from Apple and called them twice but I/we can not get it to install. I tried starting with holding the c key, holding with the alt key, I tried opening the disk and nothing, It runs the disk so far then stops then i will get the error too much power I googled the problem and came up with resetting the NVRAM/PRAM (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379) and resetting System Manageme controller (also from apple.com/kb/ht3964.

I have to use an external dvd drive my Macbook Pro doesn't work.

I'm at the end of my straw can anyone help me?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

First of all, you need to say which model you have.

Draws too much power points to the external drawing too much power from the USB port, if this is the case the only way out would be another DVD drive.

BUT, that is not needed, you can make an image of the DVD and then restore it to a USB stick and boot from the USB by holding the Option key.

Do you have another Mac, if so you could share the DVD over the network or using Target disk mode to install to the affected machine.

If you have access to a PC (Windows), you could save the DVD as an .ISO and then transfer it to the affected mac and then restore it to a USB stick, it might even be possible to do this in Windows, but I never did and I am not sure this works due to the way OS X works.(Permissions)