HELP!!! Going to the Apple Store tomorrow to have them restore my Operating System

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xDeathReaperx, Jan 24, 2011.

1. xDeathReaperx macrumors regular

All of my programs that I open say "NOT RESPONDING" every 2 or 3 days, for the past 3 months. I'm tired of restarting just to fix the problem. I'm having them restore the computer completely.

I want to know if Apple will backup my data if not, why not?

Also

What is the best thing to buy to back up your data?

Also

Will I still be able to use all my Adobe products & Microsoft Office, etc.. since I've already used the seria(s)?

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

They won't back up you data, as to why, they are not obliged to.
    Better back up your data via Time Machine onto any external HDD.
    I don't know which HDD is the best, as that depends on opinions and superlatives are not really my thing, but any external 2.5" or 3.5" HDD, either via USB or Firewire, will work.
    If you really are concerned about your data and it is critical to you not to lose it, better use two external HDDs to back up to and cycle through them with one being at another location.

3. xDeathReaperx thread starter macrumors regular

So will my software still be able to be backed up? Or will my serial for programs such as microsoft office and the adobe suite be already in use since I will be restoring my computer..

PLEASE HELP...

4. simsaladimbamba

You could make a full restore from a TM backup, but it will most likely re-introduce the same problems you are having right now. You have three serials to play with, at least with CS.

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

1. Buy an external, preferably one a bit bigger than your internal. Lacie and Western Digital are popular brands.
    2. Plug it in, Press OK when it asks you to back up everything. Wait.
    3. When it's done, stick in your OS X DVD, erase and install. When it restarts, it will ask if you want to restore from Time Machine. Press OK and choose your external.

No need to go to the Apple Store. If this doesn't fix the problem, it may be a hardware issue, though, in which case it will need to be serviced. Are you seeing the beachball cursor a lot? Could be indicative of a hard drive about to die, but you said this has been happening for 3 months (!) so I'm more inclined to believe an erase and install should do the trick.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, they'll not back up your data. Its not their job to protect your data, its your responsibility.

For ease of use, you could get (a bit pricey) apple's Time Capsule, I also prefer OWC's external hard drives. A mac centric company that has great support.

On the same computer, yes. The reactivation will go without a hitch but in the off chance something does go wrong, you could always call them. Personally I never had any issues with office or CS when reinstalling on the same computer.