Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jprez1980

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
OMG it worked!

Catalina was the trick, I see my iMessages in cloud, and my keychain passwords are there.

One thing didn't survive but its not a big deal - my Apple Card and various other cards are no longer there in wallet.

When I go into Wallet I press Continue -> Credit or Debit Card -> Add Cards -> Continue -> Enter Apple ID Password -> Adding Card -> An Error Occurred While Setting up Apple Pay

I'll deal with that at some other time - just glad everything else is working, watch and Homepod and EcoBee so far.

Thanks thanks thanks! You did what 2 weeks of support could not =)

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
OMG it worked!

Catalina was the trick, I see my iMessages in cloud, and my keychain passwords are there.

One thing didn't survive but its not a big deal - my Apple Card and various other cards are no longer there in wallet.

When I go into Wallet I press Continue -> Credit or Debit Card -> Add Cards -> Continue -> Enter Apple ID Password -> Adding Card -> An Error Occurred While Setting up Apple Pay

I'll deal with that at some other time - just glad everything else is working, watch and Homepod and EcoBee so far.

I wonder why Wallet is jacked. Would be funny if that was a completely unrelated issue and it's just all about the timing.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
OMG it worked!

Glad it worked!

Interesting with the Apple Pay. I had no issues with adding cards, although I do know there was a recent issue with adding Visa cards.

Are you able to set up your Apple Cash card? That is the most important one as far end-to-end encryption goes. If you can activate that one, you should be good (at least on that end). The rest is another thing, as far as I know.

Reactions: jprez1980

jprez1980

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
Glad it worked!

Interesting with the Apple Pay. I had no issues with adding cards, although I do know there was a recent issue with adding Visa cards.

Are you able to set up your Apple Cash card? That is the most important one as far end-to-end encryption goes. If you can activate that one, you should be good (at least on that end). The rest is another thing, as far as I know.

Yes, apple cash is there, my BOA CC added fine also - apple card (from Goldman Sachs) won't add - on hold now about it..freaking 20 min hold time so far

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
Weird about the Apple Card not working.
To be fair, I would take that bent over compared to having things all screwed up.

I find it interesting as well. There’s no reason why it should be removed from Apple Pay if everything else survived unscathed. ?

jprez1980

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
They believe ApplePay and Apple Card specifically being removed was because of the "Too many Codes Sent" situation from earlier. The "enrollment was removed" and I simply readded AppleCard and now I'm cooking with gas (thanks hank hill)

Samurai_Jack

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2021
I managed to fix the issue..no thanks to Apple. I have no idea if this will work for anyone else, and I obviously take no responsibility for any of my own actions should you choose to follow them. My working theory was that if I could get a device to allow me to reset my end-to-end, I might make it out of the loop.

Big Sur would never give me the option to reset my data, so I figured I might as well try something stupid. I was at the point I didn't give a damn if I lost all of my messages and passwords.

Here's what I did:

1) Drank whiskey (may or may not help)

2) Wiped my laptop and my phone, and ensured both were removed from my account through appleid.apple.com

3) Downgraded my MacBook Pro to Catalina (fresh install through internet recovery) and signed into iCloud during setup

4) Same issue presented itself, so I continued to smash that Keychain button

5) Went on an endless aggravating loop of entering passwords over and over again--but it was at least consistently asking me to enter passwords in a predictable and repetitive fashion (unlike on my iPhone and Big Sur).

6) Drank more whiskey

7) Eventually, out of sheer aggravation, hit "Forgot Password" on the "third" password request (the one protecting your encrypted data) and I was finally presented with the option to "approve from other device" (there were none LOL). Forget that mess. Some more clicking around, and I had the option to reset my encrypted data. I smashed that reset button and watched as my computer locked up and crashed. Repeated several times and it finally went through.

8) Laptop appeared to be syncing with keychain, messages, etc. Several minutes of disbelief that something so dumb would/could actually work

9) Set up iPhone and everything worked perfectly.

10) Wiped laptop (again) and set it up fresh on Big Sur. Everything worked perfectly.

11) Pounded on my chest and declared "I AM ALL THAT IS MAN!" before my girlfriend told me to shut up and go to bed

Here's the kicker--it didn't erase anything. I have all of my messages, all of my passwords, and everything is completely intact. I expected it to be erased entirely and, quite frankly, I was OK with that outcome. So far, everything has been working as it should be (and was).

Happy hunting--hopefully this helps someone else out.

OMG it worked!

It also worked with mine!

Thank you so much. For anyone who hasn't figured out the issue, this is a really worth-trying option. :)

MaaK

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2014
Good for you guys that it works again.
But there has to be a fix from Apple. I won’t accept going all this way to get the system working, that worked fine before.
As I mentioned I’m on iOS 15 beta 4 and expect a fix with the next update. Apple can’t just not recognize a problem that many users seem to have.

JediKnightDub

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Ok the Macstadium VM route worked for me. Note, I am all M1 at home so I could not rollback to Catalina. Further note, this route does cost money, however worth it since I rely on iCloud quite a bit for work.

I did have to create another account on the VM so I can go through the "setup" process. Once I did, I spammed the Keychain / forgot your password until I finally got a prompt offering to reset encrypted data.

Right now, all my data is fine on the few devices I got set back up. My Logi circle cameras are down still so may need to reset back up and all my HomePods are being dumb, so probably reset those back up.

@ivanpasic great find!

JediKnightDub

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Ok the Macstadium VM route worked for me. Note, I am all M1 at home so I could not rollback to Catalina. Further note, this route does cost money, however worth it since I rely on iCloud quite a bit for work.

I did have to create another account on the VM so I can go through the "setup" process. Once I did, I spammed the Keychain / forgot your password until I finally got a prompt offering to reset encrypted data.

Right now, all my data is fine on the few devices I got set back up. My Logi circle cameras are down still so may need to reset back up and all my HomePods are being dumb, so probably reset those back up.

@ivanpasic great find!
Ah, did just notice that all my Airtags got removed as well, will need to set those up again too.

• Sad
Reactions: internetrando

ivanpasic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013

@ivanpasic great find!
The credit goes to @internetrando

• Love
Reactions: internetrando
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.