Help, gps signal issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cdal1, Dec 26, 2009.

1. cdal1 macrumors member

Hi,
    I have a 3gs and just purchased Tom Tom after a lot of researching. Well I used it the other day and it is unuseable.

I got a gps lock sitting in my driveway and when I started to drive away it never moved on the screen. Then after about a mile down road it just starts to jump all over the screen then just says poor gps signal.

I have the iPhone in a holder close by the windshield, so the position in the car shouldn't be an issue.

I have tried on many other occasions and get the same results.

Tom Tom just says I need to purchase their holder, but I have seen vids of people using their iPhone without the Tom Tom holder.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do. Could it just be my phones gps chip?

Thanks

2. declandio macrumors 6502

I have a 3G, not a 3GS but I think the gps chip is the same. Anyway, I find that whatever app is being used (Google maps, TomTom, Navigon), gps reception is very poor unless the sky is clear and you are outside, even then, it can take a long time to get a fix.

Have almost given up using the iPhone as gps navigation, the reception is just cr@p.... and usually drops off completely just when you need it most.

At the moment, I'm in Ireland visiting my mother... gps works great here as the sky is clear and there are no buildings / structures near us. Back in suburban London, the gps is more or less useless.

3. cdal1 thread starter macrumors member

Well I live in a fairly rural city just outside of Houston. There are no tall buildings where I have tried this, and it has been a clear day.

Are most of you with tom Tom and navigon having no problems using these apps? Or does the conditions have to be absolutely perfect for it to work. Because as of now I have yet to actually be able to get from A to B using Tom Tom.