Help: graphic glitches when high CPU temperature (easily above 100 C)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by talesoffire, Sep 29, 2013.

1. talesoffire macrumors newbie

Dear Mac Lovers,

Okay I know its normal macbook pro's temperature blows the ceiling as mine does but now it is surpassing what my macbook pro can handle. let me explain what i mean.

My macbook pro does a good job limiting the temperature to 80 C when i play games such as World of Warcraft and Diablo 3. Now the temperature is above 100 C the moment i log into the game. This causes the graphic to glitch every second or two.

i thought it was weird so i opened my laptop and cleaned inside (even though i did it within this month already) to make sure nothing "new" is in my laptop but same thing happen.

to test if its not a bug or something from the game i tried other easy games (tetris and solitaire) to see if the temperature will rise and sure thing it did (went to 105 C max while maintaining a 98 C average) when before it will never go over 70 C.

i thought this was weird so i next tested with youtube and yes it shot up 90 C when it never did this before.

the fan does work i hear it blow hard (5700 rpm)

i dont know if this will help but it "started" when i saw my laptop indexing in spotlight. i turned it off cause i was doing work at the time and then indexed it after i finished my work.

can somebody help me or suggest what to do? it really sucks when the graphic glitches every 1, 2 seconds making my eyes tired and even dizzy.

long story short: Temperature shoots above 100 C (when it never went over 80 C) causing graphic to glitch.

thank you in advance

2. leman macrumors G3

Which macbook is it? It is obviously not ok to have graphics glitches because of overheating and this can be a sign of an impending hardware failure. If you are still user warranty then bring it to service ASAP. Otherwise, you can try cleaning the fans.

3. talesoffire thread starter macrumors newbie

macbook pro year 2009. just to clarify glitching as in the movement is not fluid. for example while i make my character run forward, it'll run and every second or so it'll be in slow motion or sometimes stop then back to normal fluid motion then slow motion (or sometimes stop) the next second. its just not "fluid" where at 80 (where it normally is) everything moves fluidly.

it sucks cause i'm not in apple care anymore... had this laptop for 4 years and forgot to extend it :(

4. leman macrumors G3

Ah, ok, then its simply throttling due to overheating. When your GPU reaches a 'critical' temperature, it will clock itself down, reducing the performance and thus cooling down. These drops in GPU performance cause visual lag. The question is now - why did it suddenly started overheating? Did you look inside the fans? It can be that there is dust there and they can't cool down the machine adequately. If they are clean, then you might need to reapply the thermal compound.

5. talesoffire thread starter macrumors newbie

i cleaned it good early in the month and cleaned it again yesterday when it happened so i really doubt its the dust problem...when i opened it yesterday there were minimal dust too ><

6. leman macrumors G3

Just to clarify - did you clean the laptop or did you also clean the inside of the fans? Usually, it would involve unscrewing the fan etc. Sorry if I am annoying :D

7. talesoffire thread starter macrumors newbie

oh no at all everybody has questions as i am the same. i cleaned the inside of the laptop and inside the fan too ><

8. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Could it be thermal paste/pads going bad? Malware?