Help! Gray Screen on Reboot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stcroixsailor, Aug 2, 2008.

1. stcroixsailor macrumors member

I have a Macbook, and it was running slow and wouldn't go away after I force quit the affected applications. So I tried to restart - and it didn't do anything. So I held the power button down. Then when I tried to reboot it, the gray screen comes up (without the apple logo or the little spinny thing) and just stays there. Nothing happens. Except the fan goes on.

Ive tried rebooting multiple times... Even holding the power button down for 10 seconds until the tone doesnt work.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Try holding down the "Option" key when it boots, it should bring up your OS X HD. Click on it and try to boot. If that still doesnt work, insert your OS X CD (Restore CDs) and hold down the "C" key and run the OS X installer. When it gets to the Choose your Language thing, click on Disk Utility at the top (near the Apple sign) and run the Verify test. If it still doesnt work, you may need to restore your MacBook, hope you have all your stuff backed up on an external HD.

3. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Also, when you restart if you have anything plugged in via USB, phone or anything unplug them..

direct from the apple website:
    Here's the address: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1411?viewlocale=en_US#symp3