HELP green airport and IP addy but no internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Toby Goodbar, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

hi all, i have a belkin g plus mimo router that i'm using to send internet to my iphone, powermac (via airport card), and an xp box (via ethernet)

my problem is that the powermac drops the internet connection sporadically. as in its still on the network with a router connection just not receiving internet data. it can also not be accessed remotely by the iphone while this is happening. almost like a false report of being on the network. network prefs show an green light and the proper ip addy, and both the iphone and xp box are still on the network and receiving internet. the only way i have found to remedy the problem is to turn off airport and then turn it back on from the menu bar. this is not accetable. only a temporary solution. especially since i like to access the network from the "outside" (ie other computers, or my iphone on the road). i have no idea what to do bout it. i don't even really understand what the underlying problem is

the network is encrypted with WPA (1 as far as i can tell, not 2)

any ideas anyone?

2. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE

now it appears that under status in network pref panel "AirPort has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the Internet." which i hadnt noticed it doing before.

i also had another message pop up that: an ip was in use by another device, followed by a MAC address. however the ip address doesn't belong to the powermac...

3. finnschi macrumors 6502

apparently the powermac and the iPhone are having the SAME IP, which of course doesn't work! (or 2 other devices) if you have DHCP turned ON in your router, make sure all computers are running on DHCP, if they have a manually set ip,. make sure this ip is NOT in the DHCP ip Range.

4. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

Everything is set for automatic ip addresses using dhcp. What I can't find that I had in my old router is an option to loc a MAC address to an ip addy.

Anyway u think my mac's MAC addy is being booted by another device is what your saying?

5. finnschi macrumors 6502

well its impossible for 2 deviced to ba e the same mac adress! But maybe you should try to give each device a manual ip ! But also ip's which are out of the dhcp ra

Well

6. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

i know its impossible, i have a decent understanding how it works and its rare that i have networking questions but i have never experienced something like this before and like i said, i cant find the option for locking MAC to a specific IP addy on the routers network.

the firmware menu that came with this router is awful and a little hard to understand. i have usually dealt with netgear in the past but due to their ridiculous lack of apple support i am not dealing with those products anymore. i have had good resuts with belkin, but i don't remember the menu ever looking like this one. i have found a MAC filter but i have no idea how it is treating the associated IP addresses...

any ideas here?

7. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

Problem solved. Turns out it was the tkip psk encryption. Once I took it off n used MAC filtering my connection stopped dropping. After that I did some research to back up my findings, I found this seems to be a common problem especially for airport cards.

So I guess now I need to find a way to use an actual passphrase or password on a WEP encryption.... Anyone?

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

LOL

dont use WEP.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no its not, many millions of devices all over the world hold the same MAC address, however the chances of them being near you are quite slim. not impossible though.