Help - Groundhog day on my MAC - Apps keep restarting

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zengod, Sep 28, 2011.

1. zengod macrumors member

zengod

Weird one this and I'm hoping someone may have the answer. Following some issues with iTunes, an iPad and a frustrating weekend of cursing mac osx I resolved those issues but now when ever I reboot I keep getting the same apps (iCal, iDVD, iTunes, Pages, Numbers, keynote and a view others) start in exactly the same place as they were a few days ago (i.e. iDVD keeps opening the movie I was editing back then and all the windows appear in the same place).

Its a bit like Groundhog Day on my MAC.

Now none of these apps appear in the login items list for this user and I have created a new user and it does not occur for that new user. I did have to play with some permissions for that user to sort the original problem out but I have reset all the default permissions using the disk utility but still Groundhog Day.

Anyone know of a cache file or database somewhere in macosx that keeps the last position that perhaps the account is having problems updating ?

Thanks.

Weird one this and I'm hoping someone may have the answer. Following some issues with iTunes, an iPad and a frustrating weekend of cursing mac osx I resolved those issues but now .......

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

3. zengod thread starter macrumors member

zengod

yes - Lion

I have been looking at the /<user>/library/saved application state/ directory thinking that may be the issue and cleared that out but still Groundhogs.

One consideration is the "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps" button under general in preferences but although I can unstick this box - when I go back into the preferences it shows as ticked again.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

The box always shows up as ticked when you shut down. AFAIK, no one has found a way to change that.

5. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

Lion always reopened windows for me even if I unchecked that box. That cat is dumb.

6. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

You might try RestoreMeNot (freeware):http://www.restoremenot.info/

It precludes, on a selectable case-by-case basis, windows from restoring upon restart.