HELP! Guest Account ??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AlyCat, Aug 5, 2012.

1. AlyCat macrumors newbie

Okay. Background info. I use a MacBook Pro (2011). For almost a year, I had my settings so that the guest user is disabled

The problem: Recently, the guest user has been showing up when I log in and such

I just checked in my settings. System Prefs -> Users & Groups -> Guest User -> Unchecked (so there is no check where it says "Allow guests to log into this computer) (I'll attach a screenie)

I feel like that should solve my problem, but it doesn't. Maybe I'm overlooking something, but I really don't think I have, and Google has been pretty useless when I look for a solution

I know I probably sound like some technologically illiterate fool, and compared to some other people that's probably true, but I am a lot better than my grandparents. Basically my point is any help you can provide is awesome, but if it's written in techy-terms, it's way too far out of my league, and I can't use it. But seriously, help because I'm desperate and don't want guests on my laptop! (I live with others, don't want them to have any kind of access)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU IN ADVANCE?

Attached Files:

2. chown33 macrumors 604

Please explain exactly what "showing up" means. Can see a guest user logged in? How exactly? Visible in what program?

Also explain exactly what "when I log in and such" means. Do you mean you see Guest listed in your login screen (the one that asks you to log in)? Somewhere else? Exactly what is "and such"?

You've only described what you've done to solve a perceived problem. You haven't described what the actual problem is, or what you perceived that caused you to believe there is a problem.

3. AlyCat thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh shoot I'm sorry! I don't know why I thought you could read minds! :)

I didn't mean anything like showing up once I'm already signed in

After turning on my computer, or logging back in after clicking logging out, it shows up with both my account and also a guest one. I tried to take a screen shot but it wouldn't work from that screen

I just tried to log in as a guest. After clicking on "guest," it gave me a pop up saying it is going to open a safari only version and that I had to restart. After restarting, it really did only open up safari. I then tried to log out but there was no option, only to restart or shut down, so I tried quitting safari but my computer shut down

I suppose it isn't the worst thing in the world to have a guest account, I just feel like if I have that box unchecked in my settings it shouldn't be there. I don't remember changing any other settings that would have had the guest account show up in the first place. If there is no solution, I totally get it, I just wanted to ask the internet before giving up without any kind of a fight

4. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Have you turned on Find My Mac (One of the iCloud options)?

As that will enable the guest account, this is to allow someone who finds your Mac to connect it to a network so you can then locate it etc...

5. AlyCat thread starter macrumors newbie

I really really really wanted that to be the problem because that sounds right. Maybe it still is, could you describe how to fix it though?

My attempt at checking was I went to System Prefs -> iCloud then find my mac wasn't checked, I can attach a screen shot

Is there another place where that would happen?

Attached Files:

6. Lefty21 macrumors regular

Try this: System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Advanced (the button at the bottom of the screen. The checkbox says "Disable restarting to Safari when screen is locked"). If that doesn't have a checkbox, put one there and log out and see if the guest account is still there. You shouldn't have to change anything in iCloud preferences.

7. AlyCat thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know who you are, but I love you :). Thank you so much!!!!!!!!