Help & Guidance needed for transferring osx + apps to SSD in optibay.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Frankydan100, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Ok so ive been scouring the forums and google for a simple how to guide on this but there are lots of different ways and means which have confused me so I wanted to start a new thread in the hope I can get some good knowledge.

Firstly i have a 2010 macbook pro, I currently have a 1tb hd inside it which has everything on, OSX, apps media photos etc... Im buying an external 2tb Hd that will store my rapidly increasing collection of films and tv shows and thats all that will go on there.

Im going to replace the superdrive with a 64gb SSD and on this I want OSX and all my applications to boot and run on. I will then use my 1tb internal hd to store my photos, files and itunes library. And also downloading films, shows which once complete I will transfer to the 2tb external.

So im really just after some good instructions on how to transfer the OS and apps to the new SSD, and leaving everything else as i have said above. Also when say this is all complete will new apps and updates install directly on to the SSD? Is there any settings I need to change? Obviously too I want my new films music phots etc to download onto the 1tb internal HD.

Again im sorry as this has probably been asked and answered a million times but due to the different guides etc I just wanted my own little post I can refer to when the time comes..

Many many thanks in advance!!!

2. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

This may help. I have yet to install my SSD, but it answered a lot of questions I had about how to do it.

3. Frankydan100 thread starter macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Thats brilliant just what I needed thanks!!!

I just have one more question.... In their guide this is the instructions for transferring things to the ssd:

"Transfer Your OS X to the SSD
    If your SSD is up and running properly, there's only one step left before you get to experience those blazing-fast boot times everyone's talking about. Download Carbon Copy Cloner if you haven't already and start it up. Set your source disk to your current boot volume (most likely named Macintosh HD) and set your target disk to your new SSD.

Generally, since SSDs are small and expensive, the way this works is that you store your operating system on the SSD for fast boots and application launches, while storing the rest of your data (such as documents, movies and music) on your second, magnetic drive. So, under Source Disk, you'll want to scroll down and uncheck the box for your home folder (and any other home folders on your system, if you have multiple users) to exclude it from the cloning process. Hit the clone button and wait for it to finish. Once it does, go ahead and restart your computer, holding the option key at startup so you can select your SSD as the boot volume. Your OS will be up and running in record time."

Will this process also copy over all of my applications i have installed?

4. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Yup. Your applications aren't stored in your user account. The directions at Lifehacker will leave the OS and Apps on the SSD, and move your stuff (pictures, music, documents, etc.) over to the HDD.