Help hacktivating iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sbl03, Sep 18, 2010.

1. sbl03 macrumors newbie

I got this off eBay. It has never been jailbroken before, and it has the old bootrom. I'm not completely sure what firmware is on it, but I did restore it with 4.0, so I'd assume that's what it's at. Is there any way I can hacktivate the phone besides the phonebook SIM trick, which I have ordered and is on its way?

Thanks!!!

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Any AT&T/GoPhone/Cingular, Net10, O2 or H2O SIMs will activate that phone. There may be other US GSM carriers' SIMs that may also activate it.

3. sbl03 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I have 2 AT&T SIM cards, one that I currently use and a GoPhone one. I've tried both, but with both it is just stuck on Searching... and the emergency call screen. IMEI and ICCID are unknown...

Eventually I just get a Restore Needed alert.

4. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

What happens when you plug the iphone into itunes?

The message actually says "restore needed"?

5. sbl03 thread starter macrumors newbie

It says "There is no SIM card in the phone you are trying to activate"

However, on the iPhone, regardless of whether or not I have the SIM card in, on the top left, it will always say "Searching...", eventually giving me a "Restore Needed" message.

EDIT: After doing a little bit more research on it, I discovered that a corrupted baseband might be causing this. It doesn't make any sense to me though, especially when the previous owner had never jailbroken the device.