Help! Hammer dropped 2010 13" MBP keyboard!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rohebot, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Rohebot macrumors newbie

I accidentally dropped a hammer on my 13" mbp unibody between the V key and spacebar. Don't ask how... fortunately it's a tiny little hammer (not a 24oz framing hammer) and there's a a small dent/bend in the body.

I was watching a tv show and it immediately stopped and went to a blue loading screen but nothing happened after a few seconds. I turned it off and waited for fans and whatnot to stop and turned it back on. It seems to be working OK now but I would like to know if there's any reason to be concerned about damage inside.

Any chance I could have cracked a battery casing or anything? I'd assume if I cracked the logic board it would still work unless I broke soldiers or cut lines?

Oops! :eek:

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I doubt there's any extensive internal damage.

4. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

5. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

well, if you didn't purchase insurance, you have to live with it. apple care doesn't cover personal fault. good luck.

6. colloc macrumors member

There's laptop insurance really?

7. Rohebot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a shot!

I just noticed last night that the impact carried through the machine and the bottom of the case is dented out. Still seems to be working though. Yikes! I've seem more damaged cases before and the machine still works. I guess it'll be due for an upgrade sometime in the near future anyways.

hahaha I was thinking the same thing...

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

9. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

what side of the hammer fell on the keyboard?

i also know that macbook pros do tend to get dents very easily. when i went to see my cousin the other day, he had a couple of dents from just only just using it a couple of months.

10. Rohebot thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like it was the corner of the claw because the dent on the keyboard is quite sharp. So it was a pretty direct force, would have been better to be more spread out maybe. Next time I drop a hammer on my computer I'll be sure to drop it handle first...

I think it originally went blue because I skipped the hdd and a restart fixed it. My old mbp has some dents and dings but the hammer freaked me out! Ugh.

11. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

is the keyboard still functioning okay? like the keyboard backlight and other functions of it?

12. Rohebot thread starter macrumors newbie

Keyboard still seems fine, keys and backlight still ok. The hammer landed directly between the keys (fortunately?) and hit the aluminum body. Maybe that saved it?

13. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

To be honest it was probably the shock to the hard drive that crashed it. If the dent is small, I really wouldn't worry. The chance of the vibrations being powerful enough to break anything internally is not really existent.

14. sno1man macrumors regular

I agree with dangerous theory. i had an older macbook get pulled off a table (before magsafe) and I thought I had toasted it since the screen had this weird zig zag display and would not shut off

After pulling the battery (and saying a prayer) it came back up fine.

BTW: If you have Apple care and take it in, they may see the damage not fix it because, wait for it........Can't touch this....... :)

15. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

That was either a PowerBook or an iBook. MagSafe was introduced with the first MacBook Pro in 2006.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagSafe

16. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Apple’s notebooks have had sensors in them for years now to detect when the machine has been dropped or experienced some sort of shock so that they can park the drive head immediately to help protect your HDD. This is probably what caused the video to freeze.

If it seems to be working fine now, I wouldn’t worry about it.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Doesn't sound so bad. Last time my mother said she dropped something on her computer, she said there was a dent, I checked to find that there was a dent in the top case and display the size of my fist. :eek:

18. FatGuy007 macrumors 6502

This.
    I immediately had to click this when I saw the title, and when you said "I was watching a tv show". I burst out screaming laughing. And thought life is worth living.

19. sno1man macrumors regular

You are correct oh god of wikipedia and google. How could I have such a fatal mistake that renders my message completely invalid....

Since you are so proficient at all things internet, might I suggest googling the expression "missing the forest for the trees..."

20. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I was just informing you. Sorry. Next time I'll let you continue with the wrong information.