[HELP] Handbrake Alternatives? (Need help ripping dvd video)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jackmack, Jun 24, 2008.

1. jackmack macrumors regular

I have a bunch of DVDs of home movies that I want to edit on my computer (remove long static parts, add menus, etc.)

I tried using Handbrake, but for some reason, it always freezes at like 21%. It'll rip other movies just fine, but there is something about my home movies (with no DRM) that it doesn't like. I've tried it on multiple machines, still no dice.

So... what other mac software exists (I'll even be happy to use a Windows program, I'm so desperate) that will let me pop in a DVD and have it create an editable mpeg (or mov, avi, etc.) file that I can bring into iMovie and mess with.

These DVDs were created with an LG VHS DVD recorder and are of old VHS home movies.

Would really appreciate any tips/advice.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Just a note about Mac the Ripper. It will copy the DVD to your hard drive in the raw Video_TS and Audio_TS folders. Those really aren't editable by any editing program that I am aware of. You might try copying the discs to your hard drive before using to Handbrake to convert them. Not sure what the problem could be, but I would try eliminating the DVD drive from the equation.

4. albusseverus macrumors 6502a

albusseverus

0SEx does quicktime

First check. Does the disc play all the way through on the computer drive?

Second check. Additional tools in tool belt.
    There is an application called 0SEx (that's a zero, not an oh, when you type it into goggle) that has a quicktime output option (under the Fmt button). I've never used it, but it might do what you want in one step.