Help! - Hard disk space rapidly diminishes (to 0KB) for no reason

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thomasq, Apr 20, 2011.

1. thomasq macrumors newbie

I'm running OS 10.5.8 on MacBook Pro, with 320 GB Hard drive. Earlier today, the computer crashed and I had to force quit by holding down the power button. Upon restart, I had zero KB available space, although before it crashed there was about 10 GB free. I deleted some large files, again creating about 10 GB free space, but over a period of around 5 minutes it went back down to zero, without me doing anything. Every time I delete files, the free space again diminishes rapidly down to zero.
    I still have access to all of my files, but obviously cannot do much without any free space.
    I have run ClamXav scan, but it has not found any infected files. I have restarted again, but it does not help. So I really don't know what to do now - any ideas??

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

There are no known viruses in the wild for osx. You'd need to look at the system log to see what is eating up the disk space; usually it's a log file repeating the same thing over and over from some error.

3. thomasq thread starter macrumors newbie

Great - thank you. I found it, deleted it and now the space has been restored.
    Thanks again for your help.