Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I was trying to setup windows in bootcamp and I have lost everything. I try to reinstall Leopard but there is no volume to install it on. When I use disk utilities it says the HDD isn't formatted. I am new to Mac's do they not run on NTFS? Do I need to try and install windows and reformat FAT 32. I am afraid I will lose all my data but most of it is still secure on my PC.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
when you install the mac os you need to install it on a mac os extended journaled drive.
use disk utilities to erase it.

os x will not install on ntfs or fat32.

with boot camp you should be able to partition the drive and make that partition into ntfs. and you should be able to install windows on that. i think i am waiting on my new machine to trey it out so i dont know. but good luck

Mold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
No Access

I can't access bootcamp as I can't start OS X or windows for that matter. I need to format my HDD to install OS X but as I am not sure how to do that I am sunk.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
do you have the cd's that came with it? you can boot from the cd.s and it will go through the install process. there is a menu on the top bar from the start up disk that says disk utilities. and you should be able to reformat the drive. then reinstall the os from disk.

it's real easy.

Mold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
On my way

I am back reinstalling everything. worst of all I bought two download programs I need to try and get again. I now have my external 500GB drive for backup.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
well good luck. when i get my new comp i will try out boot camp. what comp did you get? and if everything works out keep me posted would love to hear if it is all running smoothly
:)

Mold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Bootcamp

All up and running just one problem that I think I must post elswhere.
I bought the largest iMac 2 gig ram 500 Gig HD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.