Help - Hard Drive Sled Broken...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by motorpsycho, Nov 23, 2010.

1. motorpsycho macrumors newbie

I have an old Black Macbook that faced some pretty severe data loss after the hard drive burned down back in March. I haven't used it in a while and I would like to finally buy a hard drive so that I can replace it. I noticed, however, when I pulled the hard drive out that the Sled had come apart where it was glued, splitting the whole thing down the middle. Basically, I'm a little unsure as to whether I should even consider buying a new hard drive sled. Part of me doesn't want to gamble with this, but the sled itself could still be held up by the sides, through the nail holes. I can simply take out the nails and put it on a new hard drive, so it could still hold together and fit in my macbook, if I really wanted to use it. Now I admit I'm not really knowledgeable on the subject, but I really don't think this is smart as much as it is cheap, and honestly, I don't think doing this would be smart at all, which is why I'm asking you guys.

Bottom line, I'm low on money and I'm trying to weigh my options. How badly would it affect the hard drive should I choose to attach it to a new one? I don't want to risk another hard drive failure, and I'm unsure whether using the same sled would result in some sort of overheating all over again.

2. motorpsycho thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to Tekserve about this and walked away under the impression that the Sled comes in two separate parts. If so, that'd be pretty relieving if that's the case. Can anyone verify this? My Macbook is a Late 2006 Macbook btw. Anyone who've replaced the internal drive for this model want to share their experiences?

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

The sled (EMI Shield) is one piece and you can get one at iFixit.com for about $30us including the screws.

4. eman macrumors 6502a

Yes, the early HD sleds could become separated (two pieces). Use some thin tape and tape it back together and re-use the sled. The sled is designed to keep the HD from shorting out on the macbook metal keyboard and facilitate in HD removal.

5. motorpsycho thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah okay, thanks for this. I'll check out that Ifixit site, but if I can still use my sled, then I'll just tape it back together.