Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cygni

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2005
"ERROR*CODE***2MEM/3/4 DIMM/BUILT-IN"

Obviously it is a memory error, assuming to the built in DIMM - anything I can do on my end to fix or pure apple store stuff?

Keep in mind this is a problematic 2 year old iBook G4, I and the Ex, the one I lean on for fixing :), are sick of futzing with it, but I have a lot of docuuments on it.

Any assistance appreciated.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
"ERROR*CODE***2MEM/3/4 DIMM/BUILT-IN"

Obviously it is a memory error, assuming to the built in DIMM - anything I can do on my end to fix or pure apple store stuff?

Keep in mind this is a problematic 2 year old iBook G4, I and the Ex, the one I lean on for fixing :), are sick of futzing with it, but I have a lot of docuuments on it.

Any assistance appreciated.

Well if it's the built in ram the only thing you can do is replace the logic board. Have you changed out the other ram module with know good one? then run the test again or are you sure it's the built in one...

cygni

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2005
Well if it's the built in ram the only thing you can do is replace the logic board. Have you changed out the other ram module with know good one? then run the test again or are you sure it's the built in one...
Thanks for the reply!
No, I haven't tried that as I do not have access to ram that isn't in use.
Thing is, I just had the logic board checked a few months ago when the computer would not startup; it was Ok'd by a tech after an archive and install of the OS.

Now that I know it is likely the logic board I will contact him again, however, he said apple does not cover all logic board failures and I would have to pay for the board and repairs, which could be hundreds of dollars. *sigh*

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Thanks for the reply!
No, I haven't tried that as I do not have access to ram that isn't in use.
Thing is, I just had the logic board checked a few months ago when the computer would not startup; it was Ok'd by a tech after an archive and install of the OS.

Now that I know it is likely the logic board I will contact him again, however, he said apple does not cover all logic board failures and I would have to pay for the board and repairs, which could be hundreds of dollars. *sigh*

What exactly did they do when you had it in for repair? Do you still have apple care left on it? If you don't it will cost ya.

cygni

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2005
What exactly did they do when you had it in for repair? Do you still have apple care left on it? If you don't it will cost ya.
I am not certain what he did, tests of some sort. I know he used the Hardware disk and a HD checker, because I initially thought it was a failing HD.

No Applecare left, I'm afraid. I am speaking to Apple tech support now and he confirmed it is a $500 or so expense to replace the failed memory/logic board. Ugh.

Thankfully I have backed up everything recently.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
I am not certain what he did, tests of some sort. I know he used the Hardware disk and a HD checker, because I initially thought it was a failing HD.

No Applecare left, I'm afraid. I am speaking to Apple tech support now and he confirmed it is a $500 or so expense to replace the failed memory/logic board. Ugh.

Thankfully I have backed up everything recently.

I'm sorry to hear that. :( Hopefully they can work something out for you....

cygni

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2005
The tech was helpful, but basically said it was more cost effective to purchase a new MacBook and transfer everything over in target disk mode.

Apparently, there is no connection between my random logic board failure and those covered in the extended repair program. Blah.

Thank you for the help, Reflow! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.