help! have i made a big mistake

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samuelmacdaddy, Feb 16, 2010.

1. samuelmacdaddy macrumors member

i have just ordered myself a new macbook pro, and its awaiting dispatch, and have stumbled upon your forum and found there is new models on the way:eek:
    if the new model is announced within the first 14 days can i send my one back and get the new one:confused:
    and do i have to leave it unopened or can i use it and still return it?
    help please its taken a long time to save for my mac and i dont want to be left behind.
    many thanks all.

2. Falk3r macrumors newbie

Falk3r

Rumor has it you can return an unopened MBP for exchange; or an opened one with 10~15% restocking fee. I haven't tried either case, however...

That said, when the next one comes is entirely speculation and performance improvements are expected... but not expected to be revolutionary. I'm starting to wish I had just bought that MBP in December instead of waiting... and waiting... and waiting...

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Nobody knows if new macbook's are arriving or not, its all just rumours. The indicators look like it should happen soon (maybe). You can return you mac within the 14 days but you could be charged a restocking fee (10%) if the box is opened.

The updates may not happen for months, and you are always playing catchup with technology.

4. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

You MAY be charged a 10% restocking fee, that is up to the manager of the Apple Store. I bought a 2.66 ghz machine and after 13 days upgraded to a 2.8 and I paid no restock , just the difference.

Question 1: How good at you at schmoozing?
    Question 2: How many Apple Stores within driving distance?

5. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

If there's any chance at all that it's going to bug you to not have the new generation of processors (and just the fact that you made this thread means that it will bug you), I would not open the box.

There will absolutely be an update within the next month.

Because honestly, if you open the box and keep the laptop, you're going to feel bad about it for the next several years until you replace it.

See if you can return the item without opening the box. If it's unopened, I don't think they can charge a restocking fee, I don't see how apple could ask you to pay anything, except maybe the shipping costs.

On the otherhand, if you're only going to use the laptop to browse the web, you won't notice the performance difference so it won't be worth waiting an extra week to month.

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

if you did a custom order you can't not return it i think...

7. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Your computer will work just fine after the update. We don't even know when an update may occur.

8. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Firstly, providing you were happy to pay whatever it was you paid for your Macbook Pro then no you haven't made a mistake. Technology will always move on and while there are better times than others to buy to maximise your investment ultimately you just need to be happy with your purchase at the time you make it, nothing more and nothing less.

Secondly, you won't be left behind. While the new Core i3/5/7 processors are certainly quicker than the Core 2 Duo chips and graphics will probably speed up a bit there really isn't THAT big a difference in terms of speed. There's no functional difference either unlike, say, the Core Duo to Core 2 Duo transition so you don't need to worry about that.

Thirdly there are advantages to buying late in a product's life cycle. Mainly that almost all manufacturing errors have been caught and eliminated whereas historicaly the first gen of any new Apple product can be a little... uh, let's be polite and say flaky. Or crap if you want to be less polite.

And finally don't make the mistake so many do and get hung up on specs. I'm currently waiting for a work-financed 2.8Ghz MBP which will replace my summer 07 MBP. It's got a faster processor, faster memory, faster graphics and even a faster hardrive yet I know, from configuring similar machines for other users at work, that in real practical terms I probably won't really feel much difference 90%+ of the time I'm using it. Frankly the only thing I'm really going to notice is having three times the storage capacity on the new machine.

Basically, enjoy what you get and I hope you get many years of service out of your MBP.

9. dndandrea macrumors 6502

you could always return it if you don't open it? there's no sign (from apple) that a new macbook pro is coming out this month or for sure not 14 days. if you have another computer you can use for a little longer, then i'd say return the macbook pro you just bought before you open it (i dunno if they'll let you return it or not). then just wait it out until the new one comes out.

10. Hmac macrumors 68020

No matter what, someday, after buying a new Macbook, there will be an update. And an update following that...and again...ad infinitum.

These updates are generally represent only incremental performance bumps and have little or no effect on your use in the real world. In fact, often just the contrary...you get a mild performance bump at the cost of more heat or shorter battery life.

If you're going to obsess about not having the absolute latest and greatest for the 3 months or so your new computer will be marginally at the top if the heap, then by all means return the one you have, take the hit, and get the new one (bearing in mind there are usually shipping delays).

What I would do is buy the computer I need when I need it, replace it when it wears out or when it doesn't do what I need it to do as well as I need it do it. OTOH, If you're the kind of guy whose ego is tied into the computer you use, you'd better hold out for the new MacBooks that are likely to be release in the next month or so.

11. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Why would anyone buy it if they didn't plan on opening it for 14 days? That's a nice chunk of change that would surely be better for you if you kept it in YOUR hands as opposed to handing it over to Apple for no logical reason.. Trust me, Apple doesn't need it.. Hang on to your cash as long as you possibly can.. Don't tie up a couple grand in a box that you're not even going to open- there's much more bad that can come from that than good..

If you need a computer now- buy it!!! If you don't it sounds like you'd benefit from the peace of mind of waiting it out.. The updates are likely to be underwhelming for the average user, but I understand about wanting to make sure you're laying down your hard earned cash on something that will be around as long as you need it.. The current MBP will be a very nice machine for years to come, but you've gotta do what makes you comfortable.. Just don't buy a computer that you aren't going to open for weeks- they'll still be there when you finally decide you've waited as long as you can..

12. dndandrea macrumors 6502

That's like saying if you and a friend were hungry for some pizza and you bought a small for $10 when a large is $10 as well. You could easily save some of the left over for later, or you might finish the small and still be hungry.
    You're just trying to go against a "trend" that annoys you. People like to get there money's worth in products, ESPECIALLY electronics because they get old over time. Why get something that's over a year old when you could get something brand new with better specs for the same price? You make it sound like there's tons of mac book pros (when in fact there's only 2 that I know of)

13. Hmac macrumors 68020

I guess we know where your computer fits into your ego pattern ;)

14. PAC88 macrumors 6502

just keep it. the new ones are not coming anytime soon.. you will make yourself sick waiting for it.

edit: and the new ones won't even be that much faster unless you're buying the top of line processor which will probably only be available on the 17" and maybe the high end 15

15. DigitalPhoenix macrumors newbie

I'm throwing in my 2 cents in real quick like. I bought a powerbook G4 3 months before the G5 came out. It just recently got to a point where I can't use it realistically anymore. In the past five years (I bought it late spring '04) the only thing I really noticed I couldn't use, was a game that I really wanted for it (Civiliation 4). The specs for it are a 2.0 G5 (I believe when it first came out it was 1.8 G5 but it ran slow). Other than that one hang up, for what I needed (school, playing around with CS3, web, and WoW once in a blue moon) it's work till now. So if you don't need anything super intensive, don't need the latest and greatest to boost your ego, and don't know of any games for mac coming soon I wouldn't worry about it.

As far as new popular games coming to mac soon, the only ones I can think of worth my time are Starcraft II, Diablo III, and Civilization V. As for SC2 and D3 Blizzard is notorious for having their game's system requirements low, as to maximize the people who can play them. As for Civ 5 there hasnt been an announcement even made for it, and I believe currently (after a quick search on google) Sid Meier is working on Civilization Network for facebook. Hope this helps.

16. Razeus macrumors 601

When will these threads end?

Look for the return policy people, and stop wasting others time with these pointless threads.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not really pointless to the OP, as a new member he was completely unaware of the rabid talk about a new MBP that's possibly immanent

18. Peter95 macrumors member

seriously right.... But we don't know good it'll be till it's actually out... I hope it'll be awesome but seems like they don't want to cone out with them

19. 240KAR macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about going the same path and just ordering a 3.06 15" MBP, I sold 13" late 08 Macbook last week and I need a computer!! Really wanting to wait but its taking a little piece of me every tuesday.. But seeing how mon was a holiday I have hope.. the 23rd and I'm giving in and buying! :confused:

20. samuelmacdaddy thread starter macrumors member

many thanks for all the answers and help. my macbook pro is coming 2mrow:)
    im going to stick with what i have got, as there was no anouncement and if i hadnt found this site i would have been none the wiser.
    getting excited now and cant wait!:D

21. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

The Macbook you are getting is a good machine, enjoy!:)

22. kbetkowski macrumors newbie

If I was him I would return it... if it's possible . There is not worst feeling then a) finding out that your friend just got the same thing or better for 1/2 price or b) you finding out that two weeks later you can buy a much faster( i5 or i7) better ( USB 3.0) notebook for the same price. don't get me wrong I'm not going to wait for ever. I just started since the end of Jan. some people since December some longer.