Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
As far as I know, the only advantage the 9400M has over the other cards is that it is the only GPU that Apple supports for hardware H.264 acceleration. While other cards in Apple's range will support this in Windows, Apple has yet to see fit to enable it in OSX.

If your primary aim is gaming, this will not matter.

nullx86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Wilmington/Jacksonville, NC
As far as I know, the only advantage the 9400M has over the other cards is that it is the only GPU that Apple supports for hardware H.264 acceleration. While other cards in Apple's range will support this in Windows, Apple has yet to see fit to enable it in OSX.

If your primary aim is gaming, this will not matter.

Meh, if i want HD H.264 I got my linux box :p Really I want something reliable and possibly upgradeable, and by the looks of the iMac that I'm getting (i did a lot of googling) has the upgradeable processor and the MXM Slot for the graphics, so if there is anything I want to upgrade, i can do it, meaning I can switch to Nvidia graphics if I should feel them need to.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Meh, if i want HD H.264 I got my linux box :p Really I want something reliable and possibly upgradeable, and by the looks of the iMac that I'm getting (i did a lot of googling) has the upgradeable processor and the MXM Slot for the graphics, so if there is anything I want to upgrade, i can do it, meaning I can switch to Nvidia graphics if I should feel them need to.

You cannot upgrade CPU and/or GPU in any aluminium iMac. Just FYI

macrumorsMaster

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008

Imac's are not upgradeable(except for ram and hard drive).
If you want something upgradeable you'll need a MP.

nullx86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
You cannot upgrade CPU and/or GPU in any aluminium iMac. Just FYI

Imac's are not upgradeable(except for ram and hard drive).
If you want something upgradeable you'll need a MP.

Actually, on that model of iMac you can upgrade stuff, its the newer ones that you cant upgrade. Google "iMac 2007 dis-assemblies" and you'll be able to see that those iMac have the socket for the CPU and the MXM slot for the GPU.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Actually, on that model of iMac you can upgrade stuff, its the newer ones that you cant upgrade. Google "iMac 2007 dis-assemblies" and you'll be able to see that those iMac have the socket for the CPU and the MXM slot for the GPU.

I'm yet to find a comprehensive guide for CPU/GPU upgrade in any Intel iMac. Even if this is technically possible the clear lack of information on the subject is certainly meaning something...

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
I have a 13" MBP with the 9400M and Half Life 2 runs very very smoothly at max resolution (1280x800) at maximum settings, including 6x AA. This is on Windows 7 64-bit.

nullx86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
I'm yet to find a comprehensive guide for CPU/GPU upgrade in any Intel iMac. Even if this is technically possible the clear lack of information on the subject is certainly meaning something...

look on iFixit.com, they have the teardown guide I was referring to

I have a 13" MBP with the 9400M and Half Life 2 runs very very smoothly at max resolution (1280x800) at maximum settings, including 6x AA. This is on Windows 7 64-bit.

Ok, 4GB ram? I know that CS:S uses the source engine, so the playback should be very similar. Yo ever hooked up to an external screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.