HELP! HD crashed!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pactum, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Pactum macrumors newbie

My computer (specs in sig + latest version of snow leopard) started running sluggishly, and just today froze constantly. I decided it was time for a reboot.

Because i was unable to boot from my HD normally (constant freezing) I had to boot it in safe mode. From there I was able to backup all my files (luckily) and proceeded to insert the mac osx install DVD.

I was able to get through 1/5 of the installation when it suddenly stops and gives me an error "cannot find suitable support files" or something along those lines.

I then go to disk utility to check the permissions, or too see if something else is wrong, but the HD doesn't show up at all.
    Next I go to the 'startup' utility only to find that my HD isn't even on the list anymore.. Un-bootable.

Is there anyway to get the HD to show up again, or is it completely *#%^+ ?

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

If the problem is with the hard drive itself, and not the SATA controller on the motherboard, the hard drive controller (the circuit board on the underside of the hard drive) is faulty. You're not going to be able to fix it yourself. If you're under warranty, take the computer in to have the hard drive exchanged. Otherwise look for an aftermarket drive from your vendor of choice.

3. Pactum thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thanks for the input Bill.

But I don't think that'll be necessary.
    I went back to my laptop a few ours later, powered it on.. And it works! I have no idea why or how.

I ran some diagnostics, the volume "appears to be ok" and the permissions say there is a problem with the SUID file and they won't be repaired.

Any ideas?

4. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Suggestion: BACK UP IMMEDIATELY. The drive might go out spontaneously again.

5. Pactum thread starter macrumors newbie

Allready beat you to that one ;)

I'm going to load up OSX on an external hard drive, just in case it fails again.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I ran some diagnostics, the volume "appears to be ok" and the permissions say there is a problem with the SUID file and they won't be repaired."

This "alert" was said by Apple to be a "phony indication" and can be ignored when repairing permissions.

Almost certainly, it has nothing to do with any other problems you may have been experiencing.

Why do you need the Apple DVD to do diagnostics?

You'd be better off to have a second BOOTABLE volume which is a clone of your internal drive. Then you can boot from the backup and do your routine repairs/diagnostics from the backup drive.

If you're using Time Machine as your only backup, I would advise you to STOP using it as such.

Instead, download CarbonCopyCloner (free) and use it to "clone" your internal drive to your backup drive. You will then have a second, bootable copy of your internal, with all your files in POFF (plain ol' finder format) for instant access if there is another problem with your internal drive.

7. Pactum thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I originally thought, but all the similar issues I've been reading on have all been for Leopard (10.5) and not 10.6... I just assumed that they fixed it in the newer version

I needed the apple DVD because my laptop wouldn't boot from the HD anymore, so i booted off the DVD instead.

I'll get right on it. Thanks a lot Fishrrman!! :D

8. got2go macrumors member

if you have apple care to to the support site and download techtools deluxe. It does a much more thorough check of your HDD and will find errors that disk utility wont. Your HDD sounds like its going bad. If you do get it replaced I would recommend buying a better drive to have installed by the repair place because the hitachi drives that apple uses are complete garbage. I have had 4 of these drives go out in like 3 years. Finally got fed up and installed a WD scorpio black.

9. Pactum thread starter macrumors newbie

It think it might've been a software bug or something.

I decided to wipe the HDD clean, i zeroed out the data, re-installed OSX and re-installed all the updates.

It's been a day now and everything is running 100%.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

10. Pactum thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that was complete BS.
    In other words, i re-installed OSX for nothing.

My computer froze twice since that message. I was reading on this problem and i think it may be related to safari?
    Whenever it freezes all the applications are unresponsive (including finder so forget about command+option+esc)
    The only things that work are:
    - the mouse
    - the auto brightness
    - the sleep cycle
    - the caps lock light.

I've ran multiple permissions checks/repairs as goes for disk verifications/repairs, so i'm 99.99% sure it's not a hard drive issue.

anyone have any idea what's wrong with this thing?