Help: HD space for Window 7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dilgit, Mar 23, 2011.

1. dilgit macrumors regular

I have installed parallels 6 and Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on my new Macbook Pro. After installation, I've noticed that Parallels has allocated only 64GB for Win 7 on my 750GB HD. I need more space for Windows 7, and would like to know how do I enlarge the 64GB to 200GB. Thanks!!

2. Bigmacduck macrumors regular

Rtfm

RTFM ! :D

Without starting the Windows 7 VM in Parallels Desktop:

- Virtual Machine / Configure...
    - Click on Hardware icon
    - Click on the left pane on Hard Disk 1 and on the right pane on Edit
    - Use the slider to increase the max size (up to two TB)

There is no need to preallocate the space on your Disk, and I recommend to use an expanding disk (no need to waste HDD/SSD space by making it too big).
    You can resize the virtual disk at any point in time.

3. darkeartg macrumors regular

I kind of did the same thing but with bootcamp. I now wish I wasn't frugal with hd space =(

4. wct097 macrumors 6502

It's an easy enough thing to adjust. Winclone is your friend. I've resized my Bootcamp partition a half dozen times already. Since I have a SSD and want the speed of the SSD in both Windows and OSX, I'm partitioned roughly 80g/41gb, with something like 20gb free on both sides. I have a second disk for my data, but that seems sufficient for running just about everything I need.

I did have to turn off virtual memory in Windows. I have 8gb, so that's not a big deal IMO.

5. dilgit thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!! I can't find virtual machine? Where is it?
    Also, what do you mean by "without starting windows 7 vm in parallels desktop"? Sorry but I'm totaly new to mac.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

How about you just play around in the preference menus in parallels without starting the virtual machine and find a tab that pertains to hard drive space taken up by the virtual machine?

I don't use parallels so I can't tell you more, but I believe you can use an "expanding disc" whereas the virtual machine will only use the space it needs for itself and its files. Why you would need 200gb for a virtual machine is beyond me, you can share all your files between the virtual machine and Mac OS X easily.