help! hd unrecoverable?!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by matt9b, Oct 3, 2008.

1. matt9b macrumors member

Yet more problems with the brand new mac pro.

Running bootcamp. XP.

Was doing some urgent work for a client and the thing suddenly turned itself off. I turned it on again thanks very much and it then told me "unable to access disk Projects f:"

I rebooted into mac os x and got the message "disk unrepairable. You should back up your work immediately." This confused me as I hadn't told it to repair yet.

I tried to repair it using disk util. No go.

Then the HD vanished from sight. Panicking, I want my work back thanks I've been working all day on this and it contains everything I own, (I should add this is a brand spanking new Seagate 1TB bought only 2 weeks ago), I restarted the mac. Black screen.

Nothing.

Help!

What do I do?

I'm starting to feel like a regular on these forums. Hassle free apple my arse.

2. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

So... let me get this straight. Your entire MacPro has been rendered useless now? It will not boot into Windows or Mac OS X?

3. matt9b thread starter macrumors member

correct. the machine turns on but there is no start up chime. os x doesn't load. nothing.

Sick and tired of the problems, I called up Apple. The first guy got pissed off with me and hung up. The 2nd woman was very helpful, and told me to press Ctrl+Cmd+R while turning on the mac. Then while holding down Ctrl+Cmd+R, also hold down P.

So I did that. And now OS X loads up.

OS X gave an error message "HD F: Corrupt. Please reformat."

So I had to re-format the thing and lost all my data. Thank god I keep a weekly back up - still I lost a week's worth of work. This time I didn't risk formatting using OS X Journalled, I formatted in Windows using NTFS.

I'm getting a bit tired and petrified of the mac breaking down on one way or another. I bought this piece of junk because I NEED a reliable machine. I've always had a PC and a MAC for different work needing different software, but this time I thought the Intel mac was perfect. Apparently not so if it can't run Windows without breaking down all the time. I'm a power user. I need a working mac for my business.

I think I'm now going to have to buy a new PC as well. It'll break the bank but I don't see a choice with the way this thing is behaving.

My business is reliant on this machine. If it breaks down at a critical time (e.g. with a client in), it can easily destroy my business I've built up over the past ten years. I can't afford for this to happen. If there's one thing that Apple have now proven, it's that I can't trust their computers. I need to get an additional PC for windows work. Then at least if the mac breaks down at a critical time, I have a hope of doing SOME critical work on the PC until I have time to repair the mac.