Help - HD will not format

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by butters149, Sep 3, 2010.

1. butters149 macrumors 6502

Hi,

My 2nd Harddrive that i use for storage on my macbook pro all of a sudden went wack last night, it wouldn't let me delete, then it couldn't unmount, i had to force unmount it, then when i try to format or erase the drive it would give me a POSIX error message about couldn't allocate enough memory.

This is the drive that i put in my optical bay not the main OS drive with SSD.

2. spikejp macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I have the same problem with a new SSD 256GB HDD. I was thinking that maybe DiskWarrior could help... Anybody know if DiskWarrior is better at mounting/formatting/erasing disks than the MAC OS X Disk Utility???

Spike:D

3. davidlv macrumors 65816

Have a look at the Alsoft HP to see what DW is. http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/
    To sum it up, DW does one thing only, well a little more, like file checking, etc. but essentially it just repairs the directory, which is often the source of the HD troubles you will run into using a computer today. DW is the best HD repair tool avaiiable, but it does not do everything Disk Utility does. DW can not initialize or partition a HD, for that you must use Disk Utility.
    That said, DW may help solving your problem. However, the current DW DVD startup disk will not boot the 2010 MBP, so you will need to have a bootable external HD with your purchased copy of DW on it.
    Ahhhh, another case of "Search before you post."