Help HDD noise - what mac to buy....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aussieinjapan, Jan 25, 2011.

1. aussieinjapan, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

aussieinjapan macrumors member

Ive just had the noise of death this morning - HDD was clicking like crazy. I did an Apple hardware test which reported nothing wrong. Repaired permissions and backed up my important stuff.

If things go south, what mac would be a good (and cheap) replacement. I have a 24 inch 2006 imac. Still in good condition except of course the HDD. Dont really want to send it to Apple (im out of applecare anyway) and after taking to Apple on the phone - not worth it.

I thought about going the Mac mini route - since im really only surf the web, use itunes, watch DVDs and I can use my Bravia as a monitor until my wife lets me buy a cheap acer monitor,

Any ideas or comments would be welcomed - cost is important (baby coming etc etc)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Get a new HD for 50 bucks and your iMac will be like new again. Replacing it on your own isn't that hard

3. aussieinjapan thread starter macrumors member

Took a look on ifixit and for my imac - the 2006 model - I need to get the same brand of hdd as what is in my machine. It has something to do with the fan.
    After more research, it seems it is very hard to open the case up. Ive done some repairs before but cracking the case open on this one is tricky.

Just in case, my wife has a dell (i know I know) - is there any chance of moving my iphoto library AND itunes over to it until my current one dies. Im afraid of losing my photos. Ive backed up but you know.......I know that itunes is easy to do but how aobut iphoto ?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iPhoto library is just another file. It may not be readable by the PC but it will be able to store it.

You have nothing to lose IMO. When the HD dies, the iMac will be useless unless you get a new HD. Sure, one option is to use external one if you don't want to open the case.