HELP! HDD Sounds Like Sand

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fridgeymonster3, Apr 18, 2009.

1. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

Ok, so a friend I have had her macbook thrown off her balcony by some drunken idiot. We retrieved the macbook and I removed the HDD and after, when I just move it at all it sounds like I'm shaking sand. Basically, I'm assuming that means the drive inside is shattered, right? Any chance someone would be able to get any data off of this? Help Please!!:eek:

2. Subwaymac macrumors regular

Subwaymac

3. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

There are probably data recovery firms out there that could retrieve data off that drive for you. I am also certain that you won't be willing to pay their asking price for said service.

4. magamo macrumors 6502

It seems to be a mechanical failure. Data recovery companies may be able to get back her data, but it will cost you an arm and a leg.

5. fridgeymonster3 thread starter macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

Thanks for the responses....I figured as much!

6. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

It will cost a lot i'm afraid. Look around different date recovery firms to see if you can get a good deal.

7. foothead macrumors regular

Not really, there are some places that can, but it's not worth it unless you have something VERY important, in which case, you should have a backup.

8. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

If the drive sounds like sand in it, there's no possible hope of data recovery. Your friend will be buying a new hard drive. In most laptop hard drives, the disk platters are made from glass with a magnetic coating to help with weight. That "sand" you're hearing is hundreds of little glass shards that used to be your friend's data :(