Help!!! HDR-SR1 no sound in Quicktime

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sonic01, May 23, 2007.

1. sonic01 macrumors newbie

I have installed the mpeg 2 add on and i can watch the SD video from the camera but there is no sound. What should I do?????

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Complain to Sony.

That's about it.

Really, though, you can use a video transcoder like ffmpegx or VLC to turn the "MPEG-2 Transport Stream" video that the camcorder puts out into a more useful format (like DV, which is what iMovie prefers.)

To be technical, what is going on is that the MPEG format prefers when you have separate 'tracks' for video and audio. This is what Apple supports. Sony, on the other hand, uses one single track with both audio and video combined (called a multiplexed or "muxed" track.) QuickTime doesn't know what to do with these multiplexed tracks, so it only plays the video. You need a utility that can "demultiplex" (or "demux") the audio from the video, and put them into the two separate tracks that QuickTime prefers. Unfortunately, there are no really easy "one-click" utilities (that I've found; if anyone else on here knows of one, please let me know,) to do this. Most just take your single-track multiplexed MPEG-2 file and spit out separate .m2v (video) and .m2a (audio) files, that you then need to recombine into a multi-track, file.

Oh, and right now, you can forget about doing anything with the HD footage from your camcorder. There are only two programs that can edit it, both are Windows-only.