Help help Help, cannot get past the apple screen when I turn my mac book on

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Hitchno1, May 6, 2011.

1. Hitchno1 macrumors newbie

Hi, a few days ago i went to turn on my mack book but got nothing but a flashing folder with a quesitons mark. I now get the apple logo but it does not do anything else. What can I do? What could it be?????

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

3. Hitchno1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I have tried all steps suggested and it goes to the initial apple logo on white screen and then looks like its thinking about something but does nothing more. I do not have the disks with me is there anything else I can do?

4. simsaladimbamba

You could get the 29 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD and try it with that.

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Might as well call apple to get replacement cd's or maybe find a set on eBay. Or you can find someone with the same model as you have and use them to fix your drive.

It all depends on what OS version is on the machine, the upgrade DVD most likely will not work. You will need the original DVD that came with the unit. Apple changed the way you can install the OS, as in you can't install an OS that was lower then what is was shipped with.....

6. tallchris macrumors member

I thought the snow leopard disks were a full version not just an upgrade?

7. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Nope there was an upgrade DVD from 10.5 to 10.6, meaning you needed to have 10.5 installed on your machine for the upgrade DVD to work...

8. wpotere Guest

Nope, it is a full version. The "upgrade" is on the user to do the right thing and buy it only if they have the previous version.