HELP HELP HELP!! iMac won't boot!

thetinman

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
England
Went on my iMac G5 17" this morning turned it off, no problems. Hour later i resumed what i was doing, turned it on and nothing. The iMac won't boot. All i get is a blank screen the fans go on overtime, sounds like a jumbo jet and the light appears continuously on the front panel.

What do i do?

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
I would try unplugging all the cables that are connected to ur comp (and I mean EVERY cable: power, ethernet, etc.). Then wait for like 5 min or so, then replug everything, then try it. Hope this works :)

thetinman

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
England
I've tried everything and nothing seems to work. I've removed ram from inside pressed two buttons to reset but nothing seems to work. I tried removing all the cables, but it seems more and more likely that i'm going have to take to the 'experts'.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
fans revving up normally means a pretty intense hardware problem.. like the mobo/CPU or something like that (dont quote me tho).

have u tried holding down the power button until it beeps??

thetinman

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
England
Well....I'm back from the experts and they ran there diagnostics and found out that its the logic board. :eek:

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
oooo that sux dude...my logic board blew out in my old 12" Powerbook G4, and it wasnt worth it to fix it...sorry to hear about that :(

thetinman

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
England
This is my conundrum, i've had the iMac about 5 years. I've also been reading that the iMac G5 isn't very good generally. It's had many notorious problems.

thetinman

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
England
I've been looking at a MacBook, don't need the power of a iMac and I'm a student so could do with saving the money.

Etherz10

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
I've been looking at a MacBook, don't need the power of a iMac and I'm a student so could do with saving the money.
well the mac mini would save you the money but you could get a macbook and get free ipod touch

but yer if your a student imac would be nice at home but not needed